Making Granola

In my home a container of oatmeal is used for more than making a bowl of porridge. A portion of it makes granola, which is a good tasting, anytime, inexpensive, and healthy food to make.

Just make a syrup using about 1 1/4 cups canola oil, 1/3 cup maple syrup, and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix and pour over a dry mixture of 2 cups instant or old fashioned oats and a 1/2 cup of chopped nuts. Mix all well, place on a baking sheet to bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, allow to cool and add raisins or apricots. Enjoy!

Frugal Tip: I recycle my finished raisin bran bag by tapping out any crumbs left behind and reuse to store my granola which finishes quickly.

By sbb1 from Umm al Quain, UAE

Answers:

Making Granola

Granola can be good for you but NOT with 1 and 1/4 cups of canola oil and 1/3 cup maple syrup per 2 cups of oats.

You're eating almost as much non-beneficial oil as you are eating oats! You wouldn't eat french fries or fried chicken that absorbed OVER half their weight in oil and call that healthy.

Is the recipe correct as posted?

(08/11/2008)

By kt

Making Granola

I can't imagine that much oil on so little cereals this a typo? WOW! (08/11/2008)

By Amandablue