Making Huichol Style Yarn or Thread Paintings
Learn how to make a Huichol style yarn or thread painting. The Huichol are an indigenous people who live in four states in Mexico including Jalisco and Durango. Their traditional folk art is characterized by colorful designs dating back centuries. This style can be tailored to various projects including yarn art crafts for children.
Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 158 Feedbacks
December 28, 2015
I came across this idea while trying to find art projects to teach at my daughter's school. This looked amazing. I don't think I could do this with 100 kids at once, but my kids loved it! It took us about half an hour and it was fun to see what they came up with. I had lots of fun, too! This is a very inexpensive project. I found the vinyl tile for 38 cents and we only used half of it. Embroidery floss is usually cheap, too. I found this huge box full of floss for $1 at a garage sale. This was definitely a hit!
Total Time: half an hour or so
Yield: quite a few "paintings"
Source: There's a Dragon in my Art Room post, "Yarn Painting, Huichol style for kids"
- vinyl tiles with the sticky backing
- embroidery floss- you could probably use thin yarn, as well
- s frame to put it in, if you would like
- Cut your vinyl tile to your desired size. We cut our's pretty small (3x5 inches) because it takes quite a bit of string to cover the tile. If you are framing this, use the backing of the frame to cut to the right size.
- Take your vinyl tile and peel the waxy paper off. It's very sticky. Try to not let things fall on it.
- Create a design using the embroidery floss or yarn. You can create a scene or an abstract piece. Just lay the floss on the tile and press down. Making turns is a little tricky. I used the end of a pencil to get it to turn the other way.
- Try to fill in all the empty spaces.
- You can frame this when you are done. My 5 year old wanted these all on the wall, unframed. She likes feeling the "painting".
- Have fun!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.