Making Potato Tempura
October 20, 2018
Most kids don't chose to eat vegetables. My kid won't eat potatoes except as French fries. Then he suddenly craved for that street food we call "tempura" and here came the idea of how to trick this little kiddo.
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 clove garlic (you can add as much as you want)
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp fried chicken breading mix (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp iodized fine salt
- 2 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- Peel and grate potatoes and garlic.
- Add the egg to the potatoes and garlic. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Stir to incorporate.
- Add fried chicken breading mix. Stir continuously.
- Add the cornstarch as you continue to stir.
- Then gradually mix in the flour.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Scoop teaspoons of mixture. Drop into boiling water until droplets float.
- Remove from pan.
- Deep fry the potato tempura until golden brown.
- For the sauce just mix in soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, salt and pepper and add water.
- Simmer until slightly reduced or until sauce is thick.
- Serve potato tempura with the sauce. Made of potatoes but tastes just like his favorite street food shrimp tempura. The trick was effective.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.