Making Quilted Coasters

Category Quilting
Quilted coasters make great gifts or a nice addition to your home decor. They also are a great scrap fabric project. This is a page about making quilted coasters.

You are only stopped by your imagination when it comes to the shape of these easy coasters. If you find printed fabric with the shape you have chosen all the better.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

I like to make my pattern on thin cardboard from cereal boxes.

1. After tracing the pattern onto your cardboard, trace the pattern onto your fabric, and flannel or whatever you are using for insulation. This line will be your sewing line so you have to cut 1/4" outside the line.
  2. Pin all three layers together with the right sides of your fabric together and your insulation on the bottom.
  3. Mark a place to leave open for turning and sew around to this point, make sure to backstitch several times to secure this point. On my coffee pots I left the bottom open a couple of inches.
  4. Advertisement

5. Clip the seam allowance to your seam in the curves and trim wide seam allowances.
  6. Turn right side out between the fabric pieces and press folding the open seams under. You can either sew close to the edge around the outside on the machine or hand stitch the opening shut.
  7. I then quilted my coasters back and forth every half inch to hold the batting in place.

I hope you enjoy these coasters. Be sure to try your own shapes, even if it is a simple circle or square. People love getting something they know you took the time to make.

By Ann W. craftingtales.com from Kearney, NE

Make quilted coasters from 4 1/4 inch fabric scraps.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

This can be done by hand or with a sewing machine.

1. Cut five 4 1/2 inch scraps of material. (Three of one color and two of a contrasting color.)
  2. Lay one square right side up.
  3. Fold the four remaining squares in half.
  4. Pin two down with the fold to the center. (These pieces will meet at the center of the square.)
  5. The two remaining squares will be woven in with all four "squares" meeting in the center.
  6. Sew around the edge and turn inside out.
  7. Your glass stem will fit inside the center opening.

When you see your results, you will sigh. They are cute, but I'm not sure how good your guests will be at using a coaster! Cute or not.

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

Crafts QuiltingSeptember 18, 2012
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Quilted-Coasters.html