FurnitureCrafts

Making Sleeper Wood Shelves

I am attempting to make shelves out of sleeper wood. I have prepared them with teak oil, 2 coats. Do I leave them like that or do I coat with clear varnish? Please advise. Thanks.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Its up to you. Both ways are ok

It is whatever your perference is.I would varnish myself looks better.

What you finish it with all depends on how you want it to look. Maybe try each way you are thinking of on a scrap piece and decide from that what you like best.

If teak oil is as good as linseed oil then it will harden the wood enough to resist water and keep dust on the surface only so that you will have no problem to dust the shelves. Varnish is not a very good product for your health if you breath it when applying it and when it is worn off or has been scratched it is difficult to repair it without sanding the wood when, if you use oil only to protect the wood, when you will want to renew the coating with teck oil or linseed oil you will just have to dust the shelves and apply the oil.

In my little building we have sand the pinewood stairs steps and coated them with linseed oil that was more than 30 years ago and we have no problem, it gave a nice color to the pinewood we can wash the steps with soap and water, it resists scratches and we just vacuum-clean the dust. If you use linseed oil and are advised to mix it with turpentine, just don't, turpentine is very expensive and its only use is to make the oil dry faster, nothing else. So my advice is oil only.

Hope this helps !