Making a Butterfly Graduation Gum Wrapped Lei
Graduation leis are very popular for celebrating a new graduate. This homemade one is made from packs of gum with decorative butterflies.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
June 14, 2018
Make a personalized lei for someone special graduating! Use their favorite candy, gum, snacks, and add some cute butterfly accents.
- paper or money
- cellophone paper
- gum or candy
- You can use money/bills, or paper. If you are using paper like I did - trace a bill and cut out paper the same size. You will need 2 paper cut outs per butterfly.
- To make the wings of the butterfly - fold the length down in half. Open up and fold each corner.
- Now with the paper length wise, fold accordion style. Flip over, spread out the wings, and pinch the center. Your wings are now complete.
- For the base of the butterfly, fold accordion style beginning on the narrow end.
- Repeat steps until you have your desired number of butterflies. Ready to assemble your butterfly and secure with string.
- Lay gum on cellophane paper and cut leaving enough room to fold, wrapping the gum twice.
- Tie a string about every 2 inches.
- I made two strands and then connected then together with string. Cut off the extra string.
- Ready to secure the butterflies with string.