Making a Clay Pot Pincushion
April 2, 2008
Place this pincushion miss on your dresser for a pin keeper or top her off with ornamental hat pins. These would be great to make for Mother's Day or birthdays.
Approximate Time 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 inch clay pot
- flesh tone acrylic paint
- red acrylic paint
- small paintbrush
- 6 inch square of cotton print fabric
- 2 inch square of cotton print fabric
- textured doll hair or decorative fringe
- 1/4 inch pastel satin ribbon
- 3/8 inch button
- polyester fiberfill
- fine-tip black permanent marker
- sewing needle
- matching threads
- glue gun and glue sticks
- Basecoat the clay pot flesh tone. Let dry.
- Lightly draw face with pencil on center of pot as shown in photo. Paint the heart mouth red. Use the pen to draw face details. Use some blush and a cotton swab to make her some rosy cheeks.
- For the hair, apply glue around pot rim. Press hair or fringe over the glue covering the entire rim; trim excess if necessary.
- To make the pincushion hat, cut a 6 inch fabric circle. Hand sew a gathering stitch 1/8 inch from the edge. Pull threads to gather, stuffing with fiberfill as you go; knot thread. Apply glue around inside of pot rim. Place the "hat" in the pot with the gathered side facing down.
- To make the yo-yo flower, cut a 2 inch fabric circle. Hand sew a gathering stitch around the edge; pull threads to gather at center and knot. Flatten center. Sew or glue the button to the center of the yo-yo. Tie a ribbon bow and glue it to the back of the flower yo-yo; trim ribbon ends if necessary.
- Glue the flower to the hat.
By Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC
Read More Comments
April 2, 20080 found this helpful
This is so cute! It would be great as a purple hat with red flower for Red Hat Society ladies. Have to try it! Thanks.
2 More Solutions
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
September 9, 2009
This is a cute pincushion using a terra cotta pot for the vessel to hold the batting in. You could paint the pot. I chose to decorate it with sewing trimmings.
To make a cute pin cushion, take a small clay pot, and stuff with fiberfill very firmly, until overflowing. Tuck a scrap of fabric over it, forming a nice dome, and hot glue inside the rim of the pot.Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.