Making a Fall Candle Holder
Decorate a glass vase or cylinder with vibrant fall colors to make a striking candle holder. This is a page about making a fall candle holder
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Approximate Time: 10 minutes with 1 hour drying time
- Mod Podge
- foam brush (can buy at dollar store)
- vase (can buy at dollar store)
- leaf shapes or dried leaves (can buy at a dollar store)
- clear acrylic spray
- razor blade or Xact-o knife (can buy at a dollar store)
- First off, grab a vase or large jar that can fit the leaves you have chosen. I went for a large mouthed, tall, skinny vase, but any jar would do as well. You will want to liberally coat your foam brush and coat the vase 1/2 of the way up with a thick layer of Mod Podge. I experimented with going all of the way up, but found that half way yielded the best results.
- After you have coated the jar, begin to layer your leaves in a pattern that you like. Be sure to be careful is using paper leaves as they will tear easily. Carefully smooth them down as you place them, as to limit air bubbles.
- Carefully place a layer of Mod Podge over each leaf as you place them, making sure that all surfaces of the leaves are covered.
- After all of the leaves are placed and covered, allow your vase to dry. I turned mine upside down to help protect the finish.
- As soon as your vase is dry, seal the leaves by spraying a clear acrylic spray all over them. Be careful to only spray the area where there are leaves. Let dry again.
- Next, take your razor blade or Xact-o knife and cut along the perimeter of the leaves. The Mod Podge will come off quite easily, almost like a thin layer of dried glue on skin. Carefully peel off the excess and clean up any unwanted blemished on your glass.
- Finally, grab a candle, light it and enjoy your masterpiece!
By Teri M from Omaha, NE
November 19, 20110 found this helpful
Truly lovely! Thanks for sharing. I love Autumn leaves but I suppose this could work for other seasons too.