Making a Pillowcase Skirt
A pretty pillowcase can be easily and quickly made into a simple skirt. This is a page about making a pillowcase skirt
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Make a skirt out of a pillowcase, either with a zipper or elastic. This project only requires beginning sewing skills.
- matching or coordinating thread
- pillow case/cases
- sewing machine
- zipper or elastic
For a skirt with zipper:
- Find a pillow case with fabric you like.
- Cut the end that is sewn together.
- Cut from the end that does not have a hem to the length you would like leaving a little extra for the top hem
- Cut down the seam enough for zipper to fit in.
- Make a hem at the top of the skirt and where the zipper will be placed.
- Sew zipper in.
- Now you may want to make some darts in the front and back of the skirt to make it more form fitting.
- To make darts fold in a small amount of fabric at the top of the skirt and sew about one inch down at an angle making a triagle (tapering off).
For a skirt with elastic:
- Make a large hem leaving a hole to insert the elastic through. Cut elastic to proper length so it goes around your waist snugly with a tiny bit extra.
- Put a safety pin on each end of the elastic attach one end though the skirt near the hole. Use the other one to feed elastic all the way through the hem. When it has made it all the way through remove the safety pin attached to the skirt and safety pin the two ends together. Now sew the two ends together. Sew the hole in the hem closed once you have tried on the skirt and have determined that the elastic is not too tight or too loose.
- I understand that this may not fit every one, but with a few adjustments it can fit anyone. I wear size 9 in pants and I used one regular sized pillow case. It could possibly fit a few sizes larger as well. To fit smaller sizes you will need to take it in a bit or just use a elastic. For larger sizes you may want to find two or more pillow cases with matching, complimentary or totally different fabrics depending on what you like. Cut the ends out of the pillow cases and cut down one side on each pillow case and sew them together and take in as needed or use a elastic.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.