Making a Wood Carving

Category Carving
With the proper tools, a creative, craft activity can be wood carving. This page is about making a wood carving.

I am trying to teach myself to carve wood caricatures. I am in need of free patterns. I am retired, and don't want a big money output for my hobby. Anyone, interested in wood carving that can help me out?

By Katbe

Answers

You might want to check out your local library for books about carving. At our small library, they can order books from any other library in the county system if they don't have what you need onsite.

Google for beginner carving patterns, might find that way!

Both great idea's plus I would also check online for any wood carver clubs! They are all over the country and the folks I met were so very nice and helpful! They even offer free programs (using their supplies) to show folks their hobby!

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

This photo was taken at the Neptune Festival in Virginia Beach. Walking along the boardwalk, I saw these two parrots, and my creativity kicked in. They look like they have such personality! I am very pleased with the shot.

By Jaclyn

twin wood parrots

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

This is actually a carving I made (first one) after attending a great local woodcarving event called "Roundup!" These are offered all over the country and I would recommend them to everyone.

Nice folks meet to show folks their love of carving and to teach, most times for free. Talk about being thrifty! Where else can you learn an art like this from talented artisans for free? Great fun too!

By Donna from NE PA

A wood carving of a Wester Sandpiper

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Photo Description
This is a relief woodcarving I made of a garden in China. The doorways are in the shape of the moon for esthetic value and are designed to bring about a peaceful feeling. They are so lovely, I think. I included my bonsai plant as well.

Namaste.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5
Crafts Woodworking CarvingAugust 21, 2012
🎄
🍂