Making a Puzzle Board

With our busy schedule it can take a long time for us to complete a puzzle. The cats are constantly knocking pieces on the floor or stuff is being set on the puzzle. So to solve this problem, my husband made me a wonderful puzzle board that can easily be placed on the lower shelf of our coffee table. :)

1. Cut plywood to 40" x 24". NOTE: We purchased a 48" x 24" board and had it cut down at the hardware store.
  2. Cut end of the trim at a 45 degree angle. Then lay the trim along the edge of the board and mark it for length.
  3. Cut off the excess trim with a 45 degree angle. Adhere the trim to the board using wood glue.
  4. Advertisement

5. Then nail the trim in place.
  6. Repeat steps 2-4 for the other three sides of the board. Be sure that the corners as snug when fitting them together.
  7. Using sandpaper, smooth out the corner joints.
  8. Using a nail punch, set the nails into the wood. Then fill the holes and sand them smooth. Apply 2-3 coats of polyurethane to the entire board (following instructions on can).
  9. Advertisement

10. Add felt feet to the underside of the board, if desired. Now you can enjoy assembling your puzzle at your own pace, without fear of it being ruined!

Read More or Comment...

Thank-you for the great way to keep jigsaw puzzles safe between sessions, and for the great tute! I'm printing this for my husband - he's going to enjoy both crafting the board and being able to get back to his 2nd favourite winter pastime. (His 1st fav is fly-tying, he's an avid fisherman:)

I went to the thrift store and paid $2.99 for a big picture . we use this to put our puzzle pieces on one end and create the puzzle on the opposite end.

When we need too put it away , we slide the picture under the bed until we are ready to work on the puzzle again.

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Videos

With our busy schedule it can take a long time for us to complete a puzzle. The cats are constantly knocking pieces on the floor or stuff is being set on the puzzle. So to solve this problem, my husband made me a wonderful puzzle board that can easily be placed on the lower shelf of our coffee table.View the full project here:Wooden Puzzle Board

How big a board would be needed for 500 piece puzzle?

Answers

Best Answer

16 x 24 board or snug 12 x 16 board !

Best Answer

16 x 20

Best Answer

Normally the box will tell you the completed size of the puzzle. You will need to increase this size by 4 inches on the top and 4 inches on the side.

This gives you plenty of room to work on the puzzle. If you want to frame it when completed, you can glue the puzzle down to your board and just cut off the excess wood around the puzzle.

Best Answer

The box should give the size as all puzzles are different. The board should be 6-8 inches around extra so you have work space to do the small matching before placing.

I just got a 2000 piece Starry Night puzzle for my birthday, now I need a board to put it together on. What do you suggest?

By Barbara Z from Park City, MT

Answers

I purchased at Walmart/Target or any office supply store a cardboard that folds into 3 sections for 10.00. I use this to put all my puzzles together on.

It allows me to fold over the whatever I don't use so I can put it on top of my entertainment unit. or I purchase the foam board for 1.00 at dollar store and use for puzzles.

Buy one on amazonmuch easier!

I think you are better off ordering from Amazon less hassle

I saw the instructions on the wooden board to keep a puzzle on. Can anyone tell me how much it weighs when completed? Thank you.

Answers

The weight of the finished puzzle board can vary considerably depending upon the types of wood used and the exact method of construction.

Viewing This Page
Crafts WoodworkingJuly 22, 2013
🌻
😎
🐛
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Puzzle-Board.html