Making a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat

Category Miscellaneous
Making a jigsaw puzzle takes time; often you are looking for a way to store an unfinished puzzle. This page is about making a jigsaw puzzle mat.

I decided that packing a puzzle up for transport couldn't possibly be very difficult, so I made a jigsaw puzzle caddy dirt cheap. You need:

• Cheap tube: I used 3 Walmart paper towel rolls end to end wrapped in poster paper. Secure with packing tape.
  • Cheap fabric: A yard of 66 inch wide fleece. Fleece is a lot more fun to deal with than felt, however, felt will work also.
  • You can use pony tail holders end to end with a paper clip to keep it wound.

In this case, the total cost was $7.00.

This old Carrom Game board, which has been stored in the attic for probably 40 years, sure did come in handy for putting this puzzle together. We needed a solid background so I took 6 pieces of computer printing paper and taped it to the board.

The Carrom board was easy to move from the table and out of the way without disturbing the puzzle. After dinner, we put it back on the table and finished putting the puzzle together.

I love putting puzzles together but this one was a little over my head. I could not have done it by myself. It was fun and gave me a thrill every time I found a piece that fit together.

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how to make a puzzle keeper. You roll out the cloth and put together a puzzle on it. You can "roll up" the puzzle and store it to roll it out again later when you want to work on the puzzle at another time. This way, a table or other popular surface isn't taken up and space and be saved.

Here is an example of the puzzle keeper from Amazon so you can get some ideas. Why should we pay lots of $ for it when we can make a cheaper version, right? Thanks in advance for your clever ideas! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKDXLTF/?tag=thrif06-20

Answers

Best Answer

Puzzles are nice but they do require table space and if you have a cat they always seem to know where they should not jump.
We made one similar to this video years ago and it still works great.

There are several ways to do this and some people use a yoga mat or other flat mat that can be rolled up. If you do not have a piece of PVC pipe handy for the center you can actually make a roll out of a large towel (but something sturdy works best).

Maybe these will give you some ideas.

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=diy...

www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Jigsaw-Puzzle-Mat.html

Does anyone have an idea on how to make a puzzle caddy, the kind that rolls the puzzle up? Thank you.

By karen from Charleston, SC

Answers

When I first found these instructions (probably over 5 years ago), there were pictures. But now they're just written instructions. Maybe if you search on the internet, you'll find photos (if that's important to you).
organizedhome.com/.../jigsaw-puzzle-mat

Measure a piece of felt so that it is 4 - 6" larger than the completed puzzle plus a little extra on one side. Then take a cardboard tube left over from your giftwrap paper (the heavier the better) and wrap & glue (or sew) the longer end around the tube. Once dry roll up around tube and secure with rubber bands.

ehow.com has some nice instructions with pics.
www.ehow.com/how_5030393_make-felt-puzzle-mat...

I am wondering if anybody knows how to make a jigsaw puzzle mat? It is a mat that you can put your puzzle together on and you can roll it up and store it and then get it back out and work on it some more anytime you want. I would really like to have one of these but from what I have seen of them it looks like just a piece of felt that you roll up. Some of the ones that I have seen have a vinyl backing on them. They are anywhere from 8.00 to 50.00 (and up) and I just don't want to have to pay that much for something that I can make for cheaper, if you know what I mean. Please give any feedback or ideas! Thank you!

Ericka, North Carolina

Answers:

How to make a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat?

Here's a link to a site. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought it would be a good gift for my mom this Christmas. Good luck

http://organizedhome.com/sewing/sewsimple/puzzler.html (06/25/2004)

By Laura

How to make a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat?

Just go to the craft store and look in the discount fabric section for some cheap vinyl. Get a yard of it and you have a mat for a puzzle that can be easily rolled up and save the puzzle. (01/03/2005)

By Jennifer Rutherford

How to make a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat?

Have you tried a piece of flannel backed plastic table cloth? (07/04/2006)

By Dorothy

Crafts MiscellaneousJune 7, 2012
😎
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Jigsaw-Puzzle-Mat.html