Making a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat

Category Miscellaneous
Making a jigsaw puzzle takes time; often you are looking for a way to store an unfinished puzzle. This guide is about making a jigsaw puzzle mat.

I decided that packing a puzzle up for transport couldn't possibly be very difficult, so I made a jigsaw puzzle caddy dirt cheap. You need:

• Cheap tube: I used 3 Walmart paper towel rolls end to end wrapped in poster paper. Secure with packing tape.

• Cheap fabric: A yard of 66 inch wide fleece. Fleece is a lot more fun to deal with than felt, however, felt will work also.

• You can use pony tail holders end to end with a paper clip to keep it wound.

In this case, the total cost was $7.00.

Does anyone have an idea on how to make a puzzle caddy, the kind that rolls the puzzle up? Thank you.

By Karen from Charleston, SC

Answers

When I first found these instructions (probably over 5 years ago), there were pictures. But now they're just written instructions. Maybe if you search on the internet, you'll find photos (if that's important to you).
http://organize  igsaw-puzzle-mat

Measure a piece of felt so that it is 4 - 6" larger than the completed puzzle plus a little extra on one side. Then take a cardboard tube left over from your giftwrap paper (the heavier the better) and wrap & glue (or sew) the longer end around the tube. Once dry roll up around tube and secure with rubber bands.

ehow.com has some nice instructions with pics.
http://www.ehow  -puzzle-mat.html

I am wondering if anybody knows how to make a jigsaw puzzle mat? It is a mat that you can put your puzzle together on and you can roll it up and store it and then get it back out and work on it some more anytime you want. I would really like to have one of these but from what I have seen of them it looks like just a piece of felt that you roll up. Some of the ones that I have seen have a vinyl backing on them. They are anywhere from 8.00 to 50.00 (and up) and I just don't want to have to pay that much for something that I can make for cheaper, if you know what I mean. Please give any feedback or ideas! Thank you!

Ericka, North Carolina

Answers:

How to make a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat?

Here's a link to a site. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought it would be a good gift for my mom this Christmas. Good luck

http://organizedhome.com/sewing/sewsimple/puzzler.html (06/25/2004)

By Laura

How to make a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat?

Just go to the craft store and look in the discount fabric section for some cheap vinyl. Get a yard of it and you have a mat for a puzzle that can be easily rolled up and save the puzzle. (01/03/2005)

By JCR7676

How to make a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat?

Have you tried a piece of flannel backed plastic table cloth? (07/04/2006)

By Dorothy