Making a Replacement Puzzle Piece

Category Toys
Puzzle pieces can easily get lost or you might find a great puzzle at a yard sale that is missing a piece. This page offers an idea for making a replacement puzzle piece.

I acquired a puzzle that had one piece missing. I scanned the picture on the puzzle box and enlarged the area of the missing piece, printed it out and glued it to cardboard (thickness of puzzle), cut to shape of missing piece.

Great whether you are saving the picture or passing it along to someone else!

By Syd from Dunkirk, MD

I love getting quality toys for my granddaughter on Freecycle. I especially like the Melissa and Doug toys because they foster imagination and are high quality. I got a magnetic hide and seek puzzle that I know she will enjoy. I saw that this puzzle was missing two pieces. Unfortunately, Melissa and Doug does not sell replacement pieces. I was determined to save this puzzle from the landfill, and was pleased with the results.

I spent nothing on this project. I had the magnet and the cardboard already. Many businesses give the magnets out. My library gives free printing, and I printed what I needed out there, since I no longer own a color printer.

After I finished, I realized that this would be a great way to make a customized refrigerator magnet, too.

Total Time: 30 minutes at most

Yield: The refrigerator magnet I had was enough for 2 puzzle pieces.

• magazine picture ( I took a photo of the pieces I needed)
  • cardboard
  • magnet
  • hot glue
  • scissors
  • ruler and pencil (optional)

1. Photos of the pieces I needed were on the back of the puzzle. I took photos of them and printed them out in color. Otherwise, choose a picture from a magazine or a photo of your own.
  2. Cut out the photo. Place on the cardboard. Draw where you will have to cut to make layers of cardboard. It is easier to use a ruler and a pencil to draw gridlines so you will have pieces of cardboard large enough to accommodate the picture.
  3. Cut out the cardboard pieces.
  4. Glue the pieces together to make a stack.
  5. Glue the picture on top.
  6. Cut it out neatly.
  7. Cut a piece of the magnet to fit the piece. Glue it on.
  8. The magnet is finished. Repeat for as many magnets as you want.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair ToysJuly 31, 2019
🌻
😎
📓
🐛