ToysRepair

Replacement Magnetic Puzzle Piece

I love getting quality toys for my granddaughter on Freecycle. I especially like the Melissa and Doug toys because they foster imagination and are high quality. I got a magnetic hide and seek puzzle that I know she will enjoy. I saw that this puzzle was missing two pieces. Unfortunately, Melissa and Doug does not sell replacement pieces. I was determined to save this puzzle from the landfill, and was pleased with the results.

I spent nothing on this project. I had the magnet and the cardboard already. Many businesses give the magnets out. My library gives free printing, and I printed what I needed out there, since I no longer own a color printer.

After I finished, I realized that this would be a great way to make a customized refrigerator magnet, too.

Total Time: 30 minutes at most

Yield: The refrigerator magnet I had was enough for 2 puzzle pieces.

1. Photos of the pieces I needed were on the back of the puzzle. I took photos of them and printed them out in color. Otherwise, choose a picture from a magazine or a photo of your own.
  2. Cut out the photo. Place on the cardboard. Draw where you will have to cut to make layers of cardboard. It is easier to use a ruler and a pencil to draw gridlines so you will have pieces of cardboard large enough to accommodate the picture.
  3. Cut out the cardboard pieces.
  4. Glue the pieces together to make a stack.
  5. Glue the picture on top.
  6. Cut it out neatly.
  7. Cut a piece of the magnet to fit the piece. Glue it on.
  8. The magnet is finished. Repeat for as many magnets as you want.