Painting Light Bulbs

Category Decorations
Create a colorful lighted decorative atmosphere or your deck, patio, or in the garden by painting a string of light bulbs. This is a guide about painting light bulbs.

A fun craft and garden decor idea is to take old light bulbs and paint them. Glass paint is the best option, but you can use spray paint as well. Once painted in a design or color of your choice take a high gage wire, I use 20 gauge copper, and wrap around the base. You can wrap some around the bulb as well, if wanted. Then you can hot glue glass stones or little trinkets on the wire. Attach to your average garden stake with wire and a bit of hot glue and plant! I make mine with wire leaves to look like flowers and even bugs. Its really just what ever you want. Beware of children though or you may have one trying to smell your table lamps!

Editor's Note: Brandy added a very small photo to her reply in the feedback section. This is the best we could do to enlarge it a bit.

By Brandy from Little Rock, AR

I need to paint some light bulbs, but I don't know how to clean them, without the paint either peeling or bubbling up. Can you please tell me how to clean the light bulbs? Do you just use soap and water, or do you wipe them down with rubbing alcohol? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

I would just use glass cleaner or isopropyl alcohol, just like cleaning a mirror or other glass items. Just be sure to use a paint that is designed to paint on glass after they are clean.