Potty TrainingToddler and Preschooler

Potty Training

I have twin 3 1/2 year old girls who are potty trained when it comes to "number 1." However, they will not go "number 2" on the potty. They are not potty trained for bedtime, so they wear diapers at naptime or bedtime. Even though my wife and I will have them sit on the potty to attempt "number 2," they will hold it in until a diaper goes on them for bedtime. As soon as the diaper goes on, they almost immediately go "number 2." Does anybody have any suggestions?

By Scott

I think I read that they are going number one on the potty. Maybe they would sit longer on a potty chair rather than a toilet. Children at this age, sometimes can be afraid of a big toilet.

I would get them pull ups, or one of those briefs that are more like underwear. I might even try to let them go to bed in their underwear.

Either way, I would purchase a potty training video and have a bunch of treats that they get to have when they go number two in the potty.

If you have to, put the poo in the potty from the diaper and then wash them up and then take them into wherever the treats are and give them one.

I hope this helps, but either way , it is a situation that time will solve, I don't see them doing this when they are forty!

Here is a link on Ehow. It is a safe place to go...no pun intended.

http://www.ehow  poop-toilet.html

Love and blessings,

Robyn

It will just eventually happen I have trained seven kids so each one is different. They will just eventually start keep encouraging them. Try to catch them when you know they are starting to have a bowel movement, put them on the potty and praise them! You can try putting them on the potty every 30 minutes. Try to keep track of their bowel habits this will help you know when they might go. Good luck! Be patient.

Have you tried putting a step up stool at the toilet? Most people need to have their feet 'firmly on the ground' to successfully erm, deposit solid waste.

I promise you in another year they will go on the pot. The problem is you missed the "window" which should have been a year ago for starting the training. Their bodies will not let them go anywhere but in the diapers. As their bodies mature, and once they go a few times on the pot they will be fine.

It's been years... but let me try to remember. What worked for me when I was babysitting a friend's 3.5-year-old son was to frankly tell him he was just too old to be pooping his pants like a baby. I told him he should go home and tell his mommy he wanted to be a big boy and start pooping in the potty like a big boy.

To my amazement, it worked! What worked for my day care providers with my youngest was the "buddy system." They had my son and his best friend using side-by-side potty chairs. As they sat and visited, nature took its course. Praise them lavishly when they succeed the first few months, of course, just to reinforce the message.

Also, I can't remember who said they'll need to be able to plant their little feet firmly to have leverage enough to succeed... but it really works, even for us "grown-ups," lol!