Preparing Your Garden for the First Frost

Understanding the damage frost can do to your garden plants will help you prepare to protect them from its destructive effects. This is a guide about preparing for the first frost.

For gardeners in most zones, the end of the growing season is signaled by the onset of the first frost. No matter when it arrives, it always seems painfully early. To avoid damage to your plants, it helps to understand the conditions under which it forms, how it affects different plants, and what actions you need to take when the first frost is in the forecast.

How Frost Damages Plants

Species, age, overall health, and location are all factors that affect frost damage. The primary factor, however, is the internal temperature within the plant's tissues. When internal temperatures become too cold, fluids within the plant's cells freeze and rupture, damaging surrounding tissues. Cool weather before frost (like falling afternoon temperatures) is more likely to result in damage, because the plant's internal tissues are already lower to begin with.

Conditions that Favor Frost

Frost occurs when air temperatures fall below 32F To form, conditions have to be just right.

Plants Most at Risk

Garden Locations Most Susceptible

Effective Means of Protection

If frost is predicted, you can protect your plants in a number of ways.

Dealing with Frost Damaged Plants

Click here to find the average first frost date in your area:

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

To extend my harvest I have bottles of water all over my garden, gallon milk jugs, 2 liter soda bottles, etc. As the sun comes out each day it warms the water in the bottles and lets it out at night while it's cold, so far so good!

Even my okra is continuing to produce in the cold Oregon fall, now if only the deer would let me keep some leaves on it I'd be set! Cold usually settles to the lowest point & I think it helps that my garden is raised 2 feet off the ground as well.

I still have plants to get into the ground and they are calling for near frost this weekend. Help!