Remedies for a Dog With Constipation

Category Health
Dog With Constipation
If your dog is suffering from constipation, in the absence of other more serious symptoms, you may want to try a home remedy before going to the vet. This is a guide about remedies for a dog with constipation.

I found this tip while searching for a remedy for our 10 year old Rat Terrier. He has been suffering from constipation, which I learned is a common problem with older pets. The remedy is quite simple. Half a teaspoon of canned pumpkin a day.

My source advised that this is one case where if a little is good, more is not better. More will increase the problem. Also advised, do not use canned pumpkin pie mix with the spices, just plain old canned pumpkin. Within 3 days, he was doing better. And I still have enough pumpkin to make a pie. *grin*

By Harlean from AR

What can I give to my 6 week old puppy to help her go poop?

Leota from Richland, MO

There are glycerine suppositories you can use on small children. It is possible they could help a puppy. There is also a glycerine enema called a BaBY LAX. These are very safe, non-drug items. They both just dissolve in the rectum from the body heat and lubricate and soften the stool.

You can also try Laxatone. This is a petroleum based product you can find at the vet. Pet shops also sell something similiar for furballs in cats. It is quite safe. You should also determine why she is constipated. What kind of food is the puppy eating? Is it drinking plenty of water? How long has the pup been constipated?

Dogs love high fiber foods like fruit and broccoli. Ask your vet if you can add these things to her diet.

Try canned, pureed pumpkin (not the pie stuff, the vegetable), about 1/2 to 1 tsp should help.

You need to check for worms also. My vet told me that puppies having worms can cause constipation.

Call the vet, this can be life threatening! Even if you try the tips here, please make sure you let the vet know what you're doing. Six weeks!

A vet immediately!!

Please take your puppy to the vet. He is too young to try remedies without the vets okay. He will be able to tell you the best puppy food to put him on and how to do it (you can't change their diet all at once, it has to be done gradually) so that he doesn't have this problem. Good luck with your new companion!

Get the puppy to a vet ASAP. This is potentially life-threatening...do NOT try to treat it yourself.

PLEASE take your puppy to the vet! She should still be with her mom until she is at least 8 weeks old. Please take her to the vet, as this could be life threating.

After you get the puppy checked out at the vets and the dog is back to going at regular intervals try rubbing the belly softly after the puppy eats. That is why the mom dog licks the puppies and mom cats lick kittens to stimulate the bowel movements.

Try a little Paraffin Oil in the food. We can buy it at the supermarket here in Australia. Good luck !

I agree with the vet approach. Young animals can get dangerously sick very quickly.

Canned Pumpkin 1 to 2 teaspoons and make sure

it is plain. Not the pie pumpkin.

Things like this always happen on a weekend. In my case Thanksgiving weekend!

How do you treat a constipated West Highland terrier?

By Ashley from Coleraine, Northern Ireland

Answers

If it's been over 24 - 48 hours, call your vet. The vets can either give your dog an enema or give you a solution and supplies to do so yourself. If this doesn't work, further testing may be necessary. Constipation is not something to treat lightly with dogs or cats as they could have a life threatening obstruction from ingesting a non food substance. Please stay on top of this situation and advocate aggressively for your pet.

My mom had Westies, they were always getting constipated. Take your dog to the vet. My mom's dogs constipation was caused by blocked anal glands which had to be expressed every couple of months. This can kill your dog if the blockage isn't removed.

Try adding a tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to his food each day. Make sure he always has water available.

Go to your vet asap.

My dog is constipated. What should I do?

By Janet S

Canned pumpkin or cooked unsweetened oatmeal. Both will work great. Poor puppy!

What is a good remedy for dog constipation? My English Bulldog is eleven years old. He is on Lasix to clear fluid out of his lungs, and now he has become extremely picky about food. He will only eat if we hand feed him meat, so he has become constipated. We are taking him back to the vet on Monday, but would like to keep him comfortable. I am afraid I will need to have him put down, which I dont want to do. I am just looking for something he would eat to help him with the constipation now.

By Linda S.

I have a 7 week old Pit that goes a little droplet 2 times a day. She is a girl, so what do I do to get her to go a little more?

By Marty C. from Charleston, SC