Removing Paint From Carpet

Is there a way to get dried latex paint off carpet and clothes?

Nelliemary from WV

Answers:

Removing Paint From Carpet

I want to thank Leah, I used the nail polish remover and it work very well. I even used it for an old paint stain that I had and the paint came off very easily. Thanks again! (02/02/2008)

By Alma

Removing Paint From Carpet

Try Shout or nail polish remover, both got white paint out of my tan carpet. (03/27/2008)

By Jessica

Removing Paint From Carpet

Hydrogen Peroxide can take out paint -- it's what I'm using right now. I don't have the other products on hand, but am going to give them a try to see if they work better, once the peroxide runs out. I accidentally got paint on my carpet when I was painting the stairs, and its coming out okay. I'm having to scrub it with a white cloth, and it's stubborn, but it is coming out.

You may want to test for colorfastness though, I'm using it on light-colored (beige) carpet, and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but it's possible that on dark carpet, it might remove some of the color. (05/22/2008)

By Kathy

Removing Paint From Carpet

So it's official:

• Nail Polish Remover
  • Simple Green
  • Oops (05/30/2008)

By Carpainter

Removing Paint From Carpet

If the paint is still wet, pour club soda over it and then cover that with a bunch of salt! Worked like a charm. (08/08/2008)

By Ana

Removing Paint From Carpet

My son decided to throw a paint can and it came open when it hit the carpet. We read this post, so we picked up some nail polish remover. With time scrubbing and more than one application, it came up. Make sure you get acetone nail polish remover. (11/26/2008)

By C. Stopford

Removing Paint From Carpet

Non-acetone generic brand worked well, too. (12/27/2008)

Removing Paint From Carpet

I had no nail polish remover but had pure acetone, worked like a charm. I took bright pink paint off of light tan carpet. (01/01/2009)

By Branden

Removing Paint From Carpet

Ok I have a new one to add to the list. LA's Totally Awesome found in Dollar General Stores. I had heard of using nail polish before but I didn't have enough to cover the stain I made. By the way, I learned the hard way to make sure the plastic is covering all areas. I had a bed sheet in place where I was missing plastic, spilled some paint.

A friend told me about LA's Totally Awesome and I went out and bought some. Worked great! My stain was about 24 hours old, as I didn't realize the paint bled through the sheet. Hope its OK to post a website http://www.lastotallyawesome.com. It shows the bottle so you can see what it looks like. But again, I bought it at Dollar General for like $2. I don't know what's in this stuff because there is no chemical smell at all and it worked great. Mind you the paint I spilled was Valspar Red Velvet Cake! The instructions were to mix 5 cups of water to 1 cup of the product. It made a foam when I used the scrub brush, so I have to get a rag to wipe up the excess. But it worked (01/02/2009)

By Ms T.

Removing Paint From Carpet

I tried Dawn dish detergent and with a little elbow grease the black paint my husband got on our beige carpet came out. There are a few spots that were stubborn and I will finish it off with the nail polish remover tomorrow, when I can go get some. Thanks to whoever suggested Dawn dish detergent it worked wonders. I didn't think I would ever got the black paint up. (01/27/2009)

By Megan

Removing Paint From Carpet

Hot water that's it, plus a little bit of elbow grease. (02/17/2009)