Removing Paint from Carpet

Category Carpet
Using drop cloths to protect the carpet is helpful, but occasionally some paint can drip through. This guide is about removing paint from carpet.

My husband and I painted our bedroom forest green. What we didn't realize was that the paint we dripped on the drop cloth was seeping through. We had a ton of dark green paint spots on our near white carpet. What took them all up was Barbasol shaving cream. Spray it on, mush it around and wipe it up with a clean white rag. Some spots only needed it once, others had to be done multiple times. Let soak and scrub.

By Hilary S from Livonia, MI

Chocolate Brown latex paint on light carpeting. Yuck! Cold water and my wet vacuum! I saturated the spot with water and sucked it up. Worked like magic!

By Katums

Paint is easy to spill and drop clothes can slip or tear, allowing the paint to get on the protected surface underneath. If it is carpet, the paint can be difficult to remove, especially after it dries.

This is a guide about how to remove paint stains on light colored carpet.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I had a can of emulsion paint spill in the back of my car where can I buy Di-sol-it please?

Answers

Many online grocery stores in your area will let you order this product online. Otherwise look in your supermarkets in your area.

Amazon.uk has it.

How do you get a wall paint off your carpet?

By James

Answers

You can test an area for colorfastness, then use a strong brush and apply paint remover. Let it sit 2-5 min, then scrub in tiny circles with a stiff brush (not wire) and rub off with rag. You might have to do this several times, depending on how big an area and what color paint and thickness of carpet.

I also do this with clothing paint stains and use a scrub brush that I used to use to paint clothing. Most of the time I get it out, then scrub in a good soap cleaner. Sometimes I then clean again with the alcohol waterless hand cleaners. They help get out paints in kid's clothing if it has not been there long, blessings on your cleaning.

I'd recommend "Di-solv-It", this stuff has worked in nanoseconds where other products wouldn't touch the problem (use an old fork to scrape the paint loose). I had an alien substance at the bottom of my refrigerator that Goo-gone, etc. wouldn't budge; I thought I'd have to sandblast it out, one spray of Di-Solv-It and it lifted immediately and absolutely no harm to the fridge. (Available at Wallyworld and other establishments where size 22/24 Spandex pants frequent.)

A couple of months ago a tin of emulsion paint was spilt on my cord carpet. We wiped up alot of it but it has stained the carpet badly. Does anyone have any ideas for getting dried paint off cord carpet?

Elaine from England

Answers

Emulsion is water soluble so a good scrubbing with lots of soapy water should help - and a cord carpet will probably stand up to it well. Scrub and blot until you remove all the paint without soaking the carpet too much. Try asking at the local DIY store - they may have something to help the process.

Regards

Jo

By Jill (Guest Post)

Have you tried goop? Is the carpet a large piece? Can you pick up the carpet and work over a pan outside? I would try paint thinner, and anything else after that if it did not clean. Go to an artists shop and find what they have to remove paint.

You can then use soap as long as you can rinse and rinse and rinse the section of the carpet. If you get soap in your carpet, it will attract dirt and there will always be a spot.

I would work what I was using into the fibers with a soft brush. I use a large brush to groom my carpet and cause the strands to stand up after I clean it.

Water will sometimes shrink your carpet when it dries. Some installers use this method of laying the carpet so they don't have to stretch it. I do not recommend this. When I used to clean carpets that had been layed using this method, they were bumpy til they dried.

Jill

My daughter spilled a large puddle of paint on the carpet. Does anyone know of anything we can do to remove it? It has dried now.

By CHRISTINE

Answers

Depends on if its latex or oil base, also the carpet color. If its oil based then peel as much up as you can then use mineral spirits and a clean white cotton cloth.

If its latex hot water and laundry detergent with a stiff brush then blot with dry cloth and repeat also vinegar works wonders.

How do you clean paint out of a carpet? It is orange paint on a cream carpet.

By Freya from London

How do you remove paint from carpet?

By steve

How do I get paint out of the carpet?

By ashley

Answers:

Removing Paint From Carpet

Try nail polish remover, the one that has acetone in it. I used that to get paint out of a pair of pants and it worked. Was slow going, but effective. (09/18/2010)

By Sylvia

Removing Paint From Carpet

Home Depot carries a product called Goof Off. It removes paint (and nail polish) from fabrics. Nail polish remover may spread the stain. Spray the Goof Off on and gently rub/blot with an old white towel (I use bar towels, they're cheap!). It should lift right out. (09/19/2010)

By Lisa

How can I clean paint stains out of the carpet?

By Marque Alan Walker

Answers:

Removing Paint From Carpet

I have a friend who swears by Vodka. She doesn't drink at all, but keeps a small bottle to take paint out of clothes and carpet and furniture. She does a lot of craft painting and so it becomes a problem for her.

One bottle of Vodka seems cheaper than replacing the carpet! (07/12/2009)

By Linda Kennedy

After painting the interior walls of my house, my son stepped in the paint tray and walked on the carpet. Any ideas on how to get the paint out of the carpet that doesn't cost and arm and a leg?

By tracy from NY

Answers:

Removing Paint From Carpet

Remember that products like WD-40 and nail polish remover are highly flammable, so be sure to totally remove them. WD-40 can be removed with GOOP hand cleaner, but I'd try the nail polish remover first. (05/17/2009)

By Cyinda

Removing Paint From Carpet

There is a product called Re-Mov Carpet Cleaner And Refresher, it will take just about any type of stain off your carpeting or clothes including latex, black shoe polish, grease, and is safe to use. There web site is www.re-mov.com Good Luck.
(05/25/2009)

By Glen

Is there a way to get dried latex paint off carpet and clothes?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.