Reusing Cooking Water

Cooking eggs in hot water.
It can be such a waste to dump a big pot of water down the drain that was just heated up on the stove, why not reuse it for something else? This is a guide about reusing cooking water.

This past summer, mandatory water rationing was imposed on our community. I started cooking garden vegetables using the same water, one type of vegetable right after another. I'd scoop out the first ones, then cook a second batch using the same water. Saved electricity too since I was using water that was already near the boiling level. I've continued to do it all fall and winter.

Diane from Ukiah, CA

Lillian Brummet0 found this helpful

You can decrease dry air problems and make better use of your energy dollar in the cold seasons by reusing water.

Any cooking water (such as from steamed or boiled vegetables, roots or pasta) can be left out until it has completely cooled so that the heat and moisture are released back into the air. Before pulling the plug, consider leaving hot dishwater and bath water until it cools.

Why pay to heat up your sewer pipes?

Is it safe to re-used water that pasta has been cooked in? Say I'm cooking pasta for dinner when my roommate comes home and is going to the same. Can I drain water from my pasta into another pot and have her re-use it?

Michelle

Answers

Hey would she want to reuse a couple cups of water. I don't think it would hurt to use fresh clean water.

Anonymous

I am not sure that's such a good idea :-( Why not let the water cool and use it for watering your plants instead? Lots of nutrients in cooked pasta and cooked veggie water and your plants will thank you :-)

Yes of course you can reuse pasta water as long as it is within a few hours! If you cook by the month or for big groups of people you already know this. If you use it while its still hot it saves time and energy, thus saving you money. Just be sure that the water gets used within several hours after that I would water the houseplants with it or add it to bread instead of other water provided it has been refrigerated.

Sure, you can re-use it as long as it hasn't been too long - just be sure and tell her that it's already been salted.

I am guessing you ask this ques., because if you save the pot of water for your roomate, then she has to clean it.

Why don't you just go ahead and cook hers at the same time? You can refrigerate pasta and it keeps for quite a few days, then just run hot water over it to heat up. Ya'll must be some picky roommates.

I don't think she meant the same kind of pasta. That's not picky that's time effective.