Saving Water When Washing Your Car

Instead of washing the car with the hose, buckets, or car wash and wasting so much water; fill 1/4 of a bucket with water, use a micro fibre cloth, wring out so its nearly dry. Start on the roof and work your way down. When the cloth dries out too much, dip it into the bucket and wring out well so it's nearly dry. Repeat, until you finish. If you have the cloth too wet, it makes the car muddy looking. That's why you have to have it nearly dry. I have a commodore station wagon, it works great on this car. Hopefully it works on others.

By jas69 from South Australia

Answers:

Water Saving Home Car Wash

While I commend your desire to save water, I question this method of car washing. The grit contained in the cloth will leave fine scratches in the top coat of your auto's paint. Over time this will dull your finish and make for an unattractive car. If you want to save water, rinse only a small portion of your car at a time and wash and rinse before you move on to the next section. Or better yet, take your car to a carwash that recycles its water. (01/06/2009)

By readingiggits

Water Saving Home Car Wash

Summer before last, when we were having a drought and people were advised to conserve water and not wash their vehicles, I used two small buckets of water to wash our car. One was for washing and the other was for rinsing. I didn't even have to move the car off the carport. It worked quite well and was much less messy than washing the car with a hose. I called it giving my car a sponge bath. (01/06/2009)

Saving Water When Washing Your Car

I do it an easy way, I use a regular string mop and a sponge mop to wash our van with 2 buckets almost full of water,o ne with soap and one to rinse, don't take long to do this. Good luck. (02/05/2009)

By k w