Shipping Breakables

Shipping breakables can be be a worrying experience, especially if what you are shipping is important to you or valuable. Pack your fragile items well and you can shipping them with peace of mind. This is a guide about shipping breakables.

Truly delicate items need to be double boxed. Wrap in bubble wrap, add some paper, place the smaller box inside the bigger box after you have added bubble wrap (and maybe paper) to the larger box's lining. Tape your carton well. I've never had anything break this way.

If it is a vase or item that has an open inner core (pitcher, vase, jar), put paper or bubble wrap inside the core area also, before boxing, to re-enforce the items sides as it travels, and buy insurance!

By Vicki from Dallas, TX

I collect mugs all year and then send them to my people for Christmas. They use them for their intended purposes. But some like them for pen holders, votive candles, for their art brushes and crochet hooks, etc.

Sometimes, it's a challenge to keep them safe along the way. Today I was washing a mug in the bathroom sink (my disposal is being replaced). I looked down to my TP storage post and saw a partially used roll.

Then it hit me. It was the perfect size to put into the mug (mine is slightly larger) and will help to protect the mug during transport.

Inspiration comes in all forms, I guess!

I am sending my sister our late mother's good 8-place setting silverware and silverware chest cross country. Does anyone have any tips for making this process safe for the contents and as inexpensive as possible? I am thinking of separating the silverware from the chest and shipping them separately. Can you safely stack like items (such as spoons), then bundle with bubble wrap, and then nestle each bundle in packing peanuts in a heavy shipping crate or box? The chest I think I can handle, but the how-tos on the silverware have me a bit perplexed so I need some knowledgeable advice here. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

Answers

You can separate the silver but wrap in tissue or packing paper vey well as plastic is deadly to silver. After you have wrapped them well andd taped them, wrap in bubble wrap or pack in popcorn.

Yes...ship the chest seperate for the silverware. The chest is what you have to worry about, not the silverware. Silverware is not going to break.

the post office now has one rate boxes available. I would package the silverware in tissue paper then bubble wrap and pack in the one rate box. It costs $8.40 for the entire box now matter how much it weighs as long as it doesn't bulge out.

I live in Hawaii and am very aware of hight postal rates and mailing.