Smell From Garbage Disposal

Does anyone have a solution on getting rid of a garbage disposal smell? I have used orange peels and lemon peels. No luck! I walk through the kitchen and I smell the garbage disposal. Please help.

Desperate in Hollister,
Dmae from Hollister, CA

Answers:

Smell From Garbage Disposal

When you are using your disposal always keep the water running, when the disposal is done and turned off, keep the water running for 30 seconds more.
This should rinse the little bits that are left down the drain. You'll notice the smell is a thing of the past. (03/28/2006)

By PICO

Smell From Garbage Disposal

What I do several times a month is take several trays of ice cubes and run them through the sink disposal. Keeps it clean and prevents odors and build up of gunk. (03/29/2006)

By Dean

Smell From Garbage Disposal

The odor seems to come from the rubber "flaps". With a paper towel I wiped up quite a bit of gunk from under the flaps then poured hot water and vinegar down. It was alright for awhile, but had to be repeated weekly (at least). (03/29/2006)

By Mairmie

Smell From Garbage Disposal

Besides the obvious things of using orange peels in the disposer, use an old dish brush to brush the underside of the rubber flaps in the disposal opening and brush around in the disposer. There is lots of gunk that collects there that can cause odor. My old disposal had the flap that you could take out and wash, my new one does not! (03/29/2006)

By Syd

Smell From Garbage Disposal

I completely fill my disposal with ice cubes and then turn the disposal on. I do run water into the disposal when I turn it on. (While the ice cubes are in the disposal.) I continue to let the water run after the ice cubes are gone. Be sure to use cold water. (03/31/2006)

By Sharon

Smell From Garbage Disposal

If you use baking soda to deoderize your fridge, run it down the disposal when you change it. I also clean my sink thoroughly after dirty dishes with my dish soap, but put a little bleach down before I start running the water. While I am scrubbing down the sink (20-30 seconds) the bleach sets and when I rinse then I start up the disposal to clean through. Of course, depending on the dish soap, you need to be careful with the bleach creating fumes. I just leave my sink window open through this. (03/31/2006)

By camo_angels

Smell From Garbage Disposal

There is a commercial solution that is sold. I am not sure what it is called, but they do sell it at Kroger. They would probably sell it at Wal-Mart also. Just ask around, I am sure that you can find it! If I figure out the name, I will let you know! Jamie (04/02/2006)

By Jamie