Storing Wrapping Paper

Category Storage
Having leftover wrapping paper after the holidays is common in many households. Almost everyone needs a place for storing wrapping paper.

Reuse tin foil boxes to store small amounts of leftover wrapping paper. Wax paper boxes can also be used for this purpose.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

I use one of those under the bed storage boxes for organizing my gift wrapping. Along with all the wrapping paper (including some I have recycled), I keep scissors and cellophane tape, ribbons, sticky labels and card tags along with birthday cards and a few left over Christmas cards.

It's quite spacious so I have also only now started to collect some gifts ready for this year's anniversaries and birthdays and I keep those inside it too. It fits under the sofa bed in my lounge so I still have space under my bed.

All that I need for gift wrapping all in one place!

By Monique from Somerset, U.K

I usually have a lot of leftover wrapping paper. It ends up torn or looking pretty ratty, especially since I don't have a lot of storage space. I came across this idea and it is perfect. Screw in four wall anchors, and run galvanized wire to support about a dozen large rolls of wrapping paper on your ceiling closet. No more ruined wrapping paper!

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Here is a new use for my empty 3 liter soda bottle, a frugal rolled paper storage solution. Just remove the top and bottom. I used Washi tape to finish the edges :)

By melody_yesterday from Otterville MO

After Christmas, if you take your leftover Christmas wrap off the roll, roll it back up, and place it inside the cardboard holder it will keep better for next year. By Sharon

After years of juggling with my many wrapping and tissue papers, gift bags, and ribbons I designated one of my rarely used pieces of luggage to hold these items. It is easy to take out into a room to wrap gifts too! Everything in one place.

I put my left over Christmas wrapping paper inside the legs of the pantyhose and hang in the closet until next year.

I created a special space for storing tubes of gift wrap and ribbon. I put a shower curtain rod 4 feet up from the floor in my storage closet.

Then, using old pantyhose, I put a tube of gift wrap or ribbon in each leg and tie it using ribbon at the top.

If you don't keep your collapsible chairs in the pouch they came in, you can store your rolls of wrapping paper in them. It keeps light and dust from ruining the rolls of paper.

Once you use part of a roll of wrapping paper it is difficult to keep it from unwrapping from the tube. Try using another smaller diameter paper tube, cut up its length, to secure the cut edge. This is a guide about using recycled cardboard tubes to hold wrapping paper.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I use my tall brass umbrella "bucket" to store rolls of wrapping paper. All of my umbrellas are the small, compact type that get lost in the stand, so it works well for storing the wrapping paper.

Wrapping paper is notorious for unrolling. Finding a way to prevent this without wrinkling the paper too much can be a bit of a task. This is a guide about keeping Christmas wrap rolls from unrolling.

You can hang wrapping paper on shower hooks on a towel bar,or in a closet.That way it will not get ruined like most of mine does.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I found a really neat way to keep your wrapping paper from unraveling, without tearing or spoiling your paper. Use a coated elastic band used to hold ponytails.

If you have any old suit bags, use them for storing long rolls of gift wrap. Also enclose, to save on time, put a roll of scotch tape, scissors, gift tags and a pen or marker.

I would like some tips for storing Christmas paper rolls. I hate when the cut end of the roll gets torn and wrinkled and hung up on the others. Then you have to waste a large amount to get to the "good" paper. I know rubber bands help some, but is there something even better? Thanks.

By Misty from VA

Answers:

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I use the soft hair pony tail holders. They do not tare the paper and you can put on as loose or tight as you like. (05/28/2009)

By Julie

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I use pantyhose. Just drop the wrapping paper tube down the leg and tie a knot at the top. You can even get a few wrapping paper tubes down one leg, depending on the size of the wrapping paper. (05/30/2009)

By Jenny

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I cut a small strip of paper off of the roll, wrap it around the roll and tape it. There is nothing to keep track of when you use the roll. Usually, there are always a few strips of paper left over from the wrapping. At Christmas, there are lots of little strips left that would work. It doesn't have to be from the roll itself, any strip of paper that fits around the roll would work. (05/30/2009)

By Judy

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

When you use up a roll of paper or even paper towels, save the cardboard core. Cut it length wise and snap it over the good rolls. (05/30/2009)

By Patricia

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I use a under the bed storage container to hold my paper. I have two; one for Christmas and one for other occasion type paper. this has worked for me for at least ten years. (05/30/2009)

By Mary

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I buy lots of paper after the holidays are over, so much cheaper, but that leaves me with lots of rolls falling all over themselves. So I finally went to a wrapping station upright box on wheels and it has saved my hoard of wrapping paper!
When I buy several rolls of the same paper I take some time when i get home to roll all that paper onto 1 tube making it into a huge sausage tube. I then place smaller sized rolls of paper into the larger sized paper tubes. The size of my hoard would look like it shrank my 1/2 by combining this way. Then all my sausage tubes get put into my wrap station and rolled into the closet, out of the way.

PS The smaller non-rolled pieces of wrap paper is put into gallon sized zips and placed onto the paper rolls at the top of the station. (05/30/2009)

By soizic bluestone

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

Use a knee high stocking on each end of the paper, keep that in place with a rubber band. Works for me. (05/30/2009)

By Paula Jo C.

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I use cut up panty hose. I make lots of "rubber bands" from the legs; use the waist for bigger items, even hair bands. I then store all the rolls in a tall kitchen trash can! Good luck -- lots of good ideas put forth. (05/30/2009)

By Linda

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I usually end up taking the whole lot off the roll and folding the paper up -I find it takes up less storage space this way (05/30/2009)

By Sharyl

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I also use a plastic container that I bought at Walmart that holds all of my rolls of paper along with the ribbon and keep it stored under the bed. It has kept my paper in pristine condition for at least ten years. I have a lot due to the kids in the neighborhood selling wrapping paper for fund raisers for many years! Thank heavens they have recently changed to candy and nuts for their fund raising. (05/30/2009)

By Kathryen

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

Gals, let me tell you my trick! After any gift giving holiday I watch for the sales. When it gets down to like 75% off, I start buying. Rolls of paper: take off the roll and fold it flat. You remember getting flat wrap in stores, don't you?

Gift bags that I receive and I purchase at thrift stores and garage sales: fold flat. All of this gets stored between my mattresses flat. It cannot get damaged..always there when I need it! I picked up a 4 drawer chest made of cardboard from a thrift shop for $4.99. I put all my ribbon, cards, tape, curling ribbon shredder, scissors and gift tags in the 4 drawers. (05/30/2009)

By Brandy

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I slide the paper off the cardboard, put my fingers in one end of the tube of paper and roll it tighter, then slip it back inside the cardboard. I store my tubes of wrapping paper in a 30 gallon garbage container with a garbage bag over the top to keep out dust. I have 2 containers - 1 for Christmas and 1 for other papers. When I need to use the paper I cut the cardboard from one end to the other and slide the paper out the slit. (05/31/2009)

By Osa Redding

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

What wonderful ideas I'm going to get going on all of these. I also have the same problem. (08/26/2009)

By Lorraine

Storing Rolls of Wrapping Paper

I also take mine off the roll and fold it. Then it's put into the filing cabinet, lol. I have a drawer for Christmas and then one for birthdays, lol. (11/15/2010)

By Jaime Nasdeo

Buy two under-the-bed storage boxes (Rubbermaid makes them). In one, I store misc. gift wrap, bags, cards, tags, ribbons as well as hasty notes.