Teaching a Child Their Left From Right

Category Learning
Learning what's your left and your right hand side can sometimes be a challenge. This guide is about teaching a child their left from their right.

An easy way to teach a child their left from right is to tell them to put both hands in front of them with their thumbs extended and other four fingers together. The hand that forms an "L" is their left hand. Works for adults too!

By Joan i n CT (Guest Post)

This is simply brilliant. Uncommon common sense.

By Janice (Guest Post)

This is GREAT!! thanks for the tip.
Do you have a tip to explain why when standing face to face with some one the left and right hand is opposite of your own. This always confused me and made it difficult to remember what side of a piece of paper is left and right. Can you add something for this? thanks!!

By Janice (Guest Post)

This is GREAT!! thanks for the tip.

By M (Guest Post)

This works only if the child is NOT dyslexic or they are able to read fluently. If they are in a pre-reading stage pre-K to first grade than they are still learning which way an L faces. Most of my Kindergarten students are still learning which direction their letters face.

I usually tell them their right hand is the one we hold our pencil or scissors with. Unless they are left handed which I know to tell them, this works for all my students.

We do play lots of games to demonstrate with is the Right and Left hand.