Thanksgiving Counting Cups

When you teach, it is important to change materials frequently. This is especially true when working with younger children. That is why I like to create many different games and activities to go along with each theme. During November, I add paper Thanksgiving cups and counters to the math center. Students are able to practice their number recognition and counting skills. Making the materials fit the holiday creates more excitement to try the activity! This game would also be a good idea for children at home during November. It'll give them a fun learning activity on days they are bored or when it's too cold to play outside!

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 1 game (10 cups and 55 counters)

Link: Pumpkin and Turkey Pieces

1. Use the permanent marker to add one digit to the sides of each cup. I used ten cups, numbering them 1 through 10.
  2. Print 55 pumpkins and turkeys from the website provided. You can also find different Thanksgiving clipart on Google if you choose to use something else instead. I copied and pasted the ones I printed onto a Microsoft Word document because it allowed me to have more pumpkins and turkeys on one page. Card stock is expensive! The less waste, the better! Cut out the pieces.
    Optional: Laminate and cut them out again for durability.
  3. Have students set up the cups on a table or on the floor. They will look at the number on each cup and place that many pieces inside.

Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving GamesNovember 11, 2019
🎄
🍂

GamesThanksgiving