Tiny Holes Appearing in T-shirts After Washing

I've noticed that when I wash my tee-shirts (which were new) I have tiny holes in them, not just one, but a lot of them. What am I doing wrong?

Patty from Hyattsville, MD

Answers:

I have a some ideas.

1. Bleach: Maybe you are using a bit too much? Or it's not getting diluted enough before you put your clothes in? Try filling the washer up completely before putting your clothes if you are using bleach.

2. Kittens: Do you have any kittens? Kittens claws tend to put tiny holes in t-shirts that you don't notice until you wash them.

3. Beyond that, maybe there is something on the other pieces of clothing or within the washer tub that was catching on your clothes. (12/17/2005)

By Jim

Patty? It might be your bras. Clothing will get caught on the clasps if they aren't hooked together before washing. (I had the same problem and boy was I stumped!!) I starting hooking my bras before washing and the holes stopped.

I hope you figure it out, I know how frustrating (not to mention EXPENSIVE!!) that can be.

Blessings,
Angie in Texas (12/17/2005)

By Angie

I had the same problem with my old washer. Parts of the steel drum were rusted and t-shirts were being caught on it. I sanded the spots down, and placed this enamel touch up paint for appliances on the spots and the problem stopped.
Good luck
(12/17/2005)

By Sheryl

My neice had this problem. She discovered that she had silverfish. Since she lived in a apartment, she notified her landlord and her place was exterminated.
(12/17/2005)

By mkymlp

Many years ago I read in "Hints From Heloise" that if you overload your washing machine with clothing that the friction of the clothes rubbing together can put small holes in clothes. Make sure you are using the right amount of water for the amount of laundry and don't overload. (12/18/2005)

By lovethosehounds

Too much bleach was my problem. (12/19/2005)

By Joanne

I found once I started zipping up all the zippers, hooking all the bras and other hook and eyes, the holes stopped. (10/19/2006)

By Jony

I bought a shirt, wore it several times and then put it to wash/dry. It did not have holes before, and several items that came out of that load of laundry have the patch of tiny holes right in the front of the shirt. They definitely were not there before. It was either the washer or the dryer that caused it. Seems like no one has figured out the mystery yet!