Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

This maybe a silly request, but does anyone have any tips on washing dishes without the front of my shirt getting wet? The sink is positioned so I have to lean against it when washing dishes so it doesn't kill my back.

I know I could wear an apron or put a dish towel on the edge of the sink, but it usually ends up on the floor or in the sink. Anyone have any ideas?

By Suza from GA

Answers:

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

You could buy or make a vinyl apron to wear. You could use safty pins or clothes pins to fasten a towel to your clothes while doing the dishes.If you are putting the water in the sink, try using a dish pan, so the water is not right at the edge of the sink where you lean. (12/21/2009)

By Omanana

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

Put a big pan in sink bottoms up then put a dish pan on top of it to wash dishes in, that will make the pan higher, maybe this will help you. Also wear a plastic apron,if you don't have on make one with a garbage bag, good luck. (12/21/2009)

By kffrmw88

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

Perhaps you could put on a windbreaker jacket or a light weatherproof jacket backwards - with the back of it on the front and the snaps in the back. Good luck! (12/25/2009)

By kitkatk100

Tips for Hand Washing Dishes

I'm visually impaired and do not own a dishwasher. My sink is rather tall for me, as I'm only 5-2. I also have to lean against the sink, but rarely get more than a few drops of water on myself. Here's my strategy:

Rather than pick up the dish completely out of the water to wash, I do most of the washing with the dish submerged. If I have to, I'll stand the dish on its edge on the bottom of the sink while I gently swipe with the dish cloth.

When I'm ready to transfer the dish from point to point - from wash to rinse and rinse to dish rack - I hold it suspended and let most of the water drip off first.

Of course, it prob helps that I don't move very fast, lol! Someone watching me would prob think I was impersonating a sloth, lol! Yet no one gets my dishes cleaner than I can. And all this without soaking the front of my clothes, and no apron required. :D (12/27/2009)

By JustPlainJo