Training a Dog Not to Bark

How do I stop my dog from being controlling and stop it from barking for no reason?

By Dee from UK

Answers:

Training a Dog Not to Bark

We have a similar problem, but it's better. Dogs are doing their "job" when they bark. They were domesticated by humans for protection and work. In a sense, we shouldn't want them to not bark at all.

I thank my dog at the first bark if I am close enough for them to hear. I thank her, and then try to distract her with something else: a hug, calling her to me into another area, a treat, giving her a little scratch time. Anything that stops her.

If I know what made her bark, I will tell her in a calm way, oh, that's just the neighbors, you know them. Or yes, that's the garbage man; they make a lot of noise, don't they? Chatty and conversational. She often ignores what she used to bark at, barks for a shorter time, so while not totally under control, the barking is better and at a level with real situations I can tolerate. (02/02/2010)

By PIKKA