Uncle Sam Independence Day Placemat
Invite Uncle Sam to your Independence Day festivities and celebrate in style with this placemat. Make one to use as a table centerpiece, or make more placemats so that each guest will have his or her own. When making a set, let the whole family work together to prepare the placemats. Uncle Sam's famous hat will get everyone in a festive mood, just in time for the July fourth celebrations. Happy Independence Day!
Total Time: 20 minutes per placemat
Yield: one placemat
- printout of the provided pattern sheet
- 11.6 x 8.2 in masonite board
- white acrylic paint
- quick-drying clear matte spray varnish
- Pilot silver marker pen
- red, ultramarine, and green Giotto textile pens
- yellow felt-tip pen
- a sponge ~ use one that was inside a medicine bottle
- standard scissors
- Use the sponge to add an even layer of white paint to the top and edges of the placemat and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Cut out the whole hat from the pattern sheet. Place it on the placemat and use the pencil to trace around the outline of the hat. Note: To make it easier to transfer the rest of the details of the hat, cut out smaller sections of the hat (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 ,7 ,8), and use each of these as a matrix to add the inner details of the hat to the placemat.
- Use the pencil to draw three stars on section 2.
- Use the red pen to color the top, the bottom, and four alternating bands. Allow to dry and color for a second time to further emphasize the red.
- Color section 2 with the ultramarine pen, leaving the stars white. Allow to dry and color again.
- Use the green and red pens to add shadows to the red sections of the hat. Color a small section with the green pen and use the red pen directly over it to blend in with the green. Use the yellow and blue pens to add shadows to section 2.
- Use the white paintbrush to add a few highlights to the rim and top of the hat. Add silver squiggles to the white area around the hat.
- Spray the top and edges of the placemat with a coat of varnish and allow to dry.
- Make more placemats in the same way, so that you will have a complete set of six or more.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.