What are hedge apples good for?

Does anyone know what Hedge Apples are good for? I thought they were a spider deterrent?

Thanks,
Mary from LeRoy, IL

Answer:

What are hedge apples good for?

Mostly they are good to feed squirrels and other wild animals. Deer will eat them if they are starving.
There are some that swear by them as bug deterrents, but it takes a lot of them. They get in the way, and as they are an organic material, they will rot. Kids like to throw them at each other.

I saw a craft once using sliced hedge apples that were dried then painted, but it was hard to cut them and they weren't pretty enough to go to the trouble. (09/28/2006)

By Carla B

I know of people in my area. That has had cancer give a year to live. They heard about hedge apples. Thought what would it hurt. You freeze 3 whole hedge apples in the freeze.

Then cut off a teaspoon is the morning and teaspoon in the night. Do it for 90 days. They taste like cucumber. The other man had skin caner and was healed.