Wrinkles on My Wedding Dress

Can anyone tell me how I can safely and effectively get the wrinkles out of this myself? It's satin peau (I think I spelled that correctly). Also, some of the petals on the flowers are bent, I need to straighten these. My wedding is in just a couple weeks. The gown is too long to hang in the shower, would an iron ruin it?

Shelley from CO

Answers:

Ironing on Low Setting

My dress was wrinkled pretty badly too. I had a travel size steamer, didn't do me any good whatsoever. I ended up ironing it. Just use a low setting and put a thin towel between the iron and the dress. It should be completely fine. If you're not sure, contact a professional seamstress first.

By Shannon

Iron Inside Out

Most people don't know this, but satin is a weave not a fabric. You can have a silk satin, which is pure silk fiber in a satin weave. This is what most people call "silk". What is referred to as "satin" is actually polyester in a satin weave! Most irons have a polyester setting.

I design bridal gowns for a living and often iron gowns. I have even ironed silk though I wouldn't recommend it. For satin, use a lower setting and take your time. I recommend ironing the dress inside out so that if you do mess up it's inside the dress. If the dress has a fair amount of shine to it and you don't want to chance losing the shine, either iron inside out or place a towel on the dress and iron through the towel.

By Crystal

Steamer

My dress had a silk organza overlay that wrinkled terribly. We had good success using a steamer filled with purified water.

By sigma28