Yard Sale Tip

I know with all the yard sales this time of year, many people are buying second hand and giving new life to their finds. When pricing items, many types of pricing elements are hard to remove and leave sticky residue. The best thing I have found for marking your price is painter's tape. It is designed to be easily removed without leaving any tell-tale sign it was placed there.

And it's easy to write your price on and easy to tear. So that makes it time efficient not having to use scissors to cut. While preparing for a yard sale is time consuming, this will help make thing go a little bit quicker. I have bought things in the past at sales and some things were damaged just trying to remove all the sticky stuff.

By tricia minter from VA

Great idea. Another that helps is to put all like-priced items in a box and then mark the box just once. I always have .25, .50, and 1.00 boxes on the floor/ground so people can look down into them. They love to browse so this lets them.

If you have garage doors that open, you can often hang clothes from the rungs and if not, you can stretch poles or rope between the two hinges.

Hope this helps.

I don't want to put a damper on your tip but it's too easy for a dishonest person to switch the price from one item to another. I've seen people at garage sells do all kinds of things to get something for nothing.

I have never noticed anyone doing that before. If someone wants an item bad enough, they usually just take it. I have noticed that happening at my yard sales and at flea markets. It seems you almost never notice and item being lifted until the traffic drops off or you are packing up. But that happens with almost everybody that holds a yard sale.

While this seems like a great idea, being a veteran garage sale hostess I find that if the tags are easily removed there tends to be more theft at the sale. Also it just takes a bit of mineral or vegetable oil to remove left over residue from a tag and this should not harm any item. Good luck at your sales ladies!