E-Ticket Vs. Paper Tickets?

Should I pay extra money for paper Airline Tickets? I plan on flying a relative in for the Christmas Holidays. I have always purchased paper tickets, I wonder if I should continue?

JeanAnn from Cape May, NJ

By Ingrid (Guest Post)

I fly on business approx every 4-5 weeks, and have never had any problems using an e-ticket during the past 3 years. Usually on JetBlue (a great airline). The first time it feels funny to just carry a printout of your confirmation number with you, but you get used to it fast. You can also print out your own boarding pass and carry it with you. As long as you have picture ID and your confirm number, you're good to go. I've never had any seating issues using e-tickets and I can check myself in very fast, without standing on long lines. Hope this helps.

By (Guest Post)

My sister and I used e-tickets last Fall flying between Boston and Atlanta and had no problems at all.

By Estella (Guest Post)

I fly 4 or 5 times a year, and love e-tickets. I usually have my confirmation number/printout with me, but have gone without it too, and never a problem. All you need really is a picture ID.

Once I left a paper ticket at a friend's house and it cost me dearly, so I'm thrilled not to need a paper ticket.

I've read that a paper ticket will help you if your flight is cancelled, but when that happened I did everything over the phone so paper wouldn't have made a bit of difference. No regrets at all!

By GrammySheila (Guest Post)

I never get paper tickets anymore! In fact, when I do fly, I always check in the day before via the carrier's website and print out my boarding pass so the only thing I have to do at the airport is drop my luggage at the TSA checkpoint and go to the boarding area!

By GrammySheila (Guest Post)

By GrammySheila (Guest Post)

By Sylver (Guest Post)

I love e-tickets, it is so much easier to check in now :) I usually print out the confirmation, and put it with my ID in my wallet, so much easier than having to dig up the paper ticket from my handbag :)

By Jeanne (Guest Post)

In many cases paper tickets are not exchangeable in case of a necessary change of plan. You own the ticket. E-tickets usually are, since you own the reservation rather than the ticket.

This is information that may not be given out since it is assumed that you have read the fine print and already know.

By Glenda (Guest Post)

Absolutely agree about the e-tickets. I have flown a lot over the last several years and by far the easiest and quickest way was using an e-ticket. But DON'T FORGET your picture ID, or you're out of luck....

Our Olympic Airlines flight a couple of Saturdays ago was over an hour late, so we missed our connecting flight from JFK to San Francisco.

Olympic would not help us at all after missing our connecting flight to SFO because our tour company had purchased United Airlines E-tickets for the missed flight--E-tickets aren't transferrable among other airlines.

Olympic refused to pay for a hotel for that evening because Olympic claimed that if we had paper tickets, they could have been used to book a later flight to SFO that day on another airline.

Seems that E-tickets are good only on the airline that issues them and United's next available flight from JFK to SFO was early the next morning. We had to pay for our own hotel and meals that night.

Beware of E-tickets if there's any chance you'll need to make changes as stated above. E-tickets can strand you!

By (Guest Post)

THAT'S SCARY BECAUSE SOME AIRLINES DON'T GIVE YOU A CHOICE. I JUST BOOKED A FLIGHT TO HAWAII AND WAS TOLD E TICKET WAS MY ONLY CHOICE

By John (Guest Post)

E-tickets are NOT foolproof. We (2 married couples) had a holiday in Argentina, Antarctica and Chile early this year (2008). It was booked through a well-respected travel company in the UK. To cut a long nightmare short, we found that none of our e-tickets existed on our flight from Santiago to Calama.

Later, we found that 3 tickets from Santiago to Madrid didn't exist. Mine did, but apparently I'd flown by myself the previous day, so I no longer had a seat either.
We'll all insist on old-fashioned paper tickets in future.
BE WARNED.

Travel and Recreation TravelAugust 19, 2006
📓
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf12241709.tip.html

TravelTravel and Recreation