SewingCrafts

Making Sleeves To Hold Silverware

I would like to sew some sleeves to hold my silverware so it does not tarnish. Has anyone made any and what fabric should I use?

Rose from Malvern, PA

I made some bags a while back to hold Christmas ornaments to keep from tarnishing. They sell treated fabric at many fabric stores by the yard. I think the one I used was Pacific Silvercloth. When I bought it they kept it behind the counter so you may have to ask for it. Seems like I got it at Joann's.

It even works well without sewing into bags. I used the scraps and basically lined some smaller boxes with it for my silver jewelry although I think the less air involved the less tarnishing perhaps.

http://www.silv  silvercloth.aspx

Kenized SilverShield Anti-Tarnish Cloth is available through A Great Notion Sewing Supply Ltd. on the web at www.agreatnotion.com In the 2007 catalogue it was $19.99 per meter(39") 58" wide.

Your get instrucions for a pocketed roll, basic pouch and drawstring bag with order of fabric.

By Rose (Guest Post)

Any reason I cannot use just plain old flannel. The treated fabric sounds pretty expensive. My impression was that silver tarnished when exposed to light and air.

I was housesitting for a woman when I saw this.
The housekeeper polished the silver and all

were stored in crown royal bags she told me
the lady of the house kept them that way.