Removing Tea Stains on Fabric

Category Fabric
Unless you are intentionally tea staining a quilt or other handicraft for a vintage look, tea stains on fabric are not desired. Knowing how to remove the stains without damaging the fabric is important to a successful solution. This is a guide about removing tea stains on fabric.

When a stain like this occurs, I rely on a sure fix. Apply full-strength vinegar to the stain over a sink. I use white vinegar. Then pour very hot or boiling water over the stained area. One may need to repeat the process.

By Rhoda Lange from Las Vegas, NV

I had a set in tea stain on one of my white t-shirts. I had just bought a container of Soft Scrub - it will clean about anything. So I dropped just a small dot on the two stains and washed. They came out! Oh, and by the way, it will also clean grass stains off of leather tennis shoes. Use sparingly.

By Rita from Springfield, MO

I'm a truck driver and had a cup of tea in the sleeper. I forgot about it and drove. When I stopped I found the tea cup on the bed with a tea stain on top of the bed and a bigger one underneath the mattress. How do I get the stain out?

Answers

Step 1
Mix a solution of two cups cool water, one tablespoon dishwashing liquid, and one tablespoon of vinegar.

Step 2
Using this solution, sponge the spot with a clean white cloth.

Step 3
Next, blot until the liquid is absorbed.

Step 4
Repeat steps 2-3 until the tea stain is removed from the upholstery.

How can I remove an old tea stain?

By Jacob

Answers

Year old stain on white tablecloth. Not sure but looks like tea or coffee. Cloth is white cotton ,but has other green and red decoration on cloth. Stain on white area.

I have iced tea stains on my off white skirt. The fabric is 73% acrylic, 17% polyester, and 10% rayon. How can I remove them?

By Karen

I have several tea stains in the lace on my wedding dress, how can I remove them?

By Dot

I had dropped tea on my new light orange t shirt. Then I immediately washed it with water and Rin bar, it's a detergent soap. After drying up, the stain has turned black. I washed it in the same way again, but the stain is not going. What do I do? Please suggest solutions.

By manav from Kolkata

How do I remove a tea stain on white tee shirt?

Ragu

Answers:

Tea Stains on Fabric

Bleach would probably work. It's white so you don't have to worry about fading. (01/26/2010)

By OliveOyl

Tea Stains on Fabric

I have been using something like OxyiClean, only better, and only $2.99! It is called Sun and in the same kind of packaging. I am not sure if Wally World still sells it, but I get mine at Big Lots. It has removed a lot of stains and whitens better than anything. Clorox makes your clothes yellow. You might try some Dawn dish soap first. That removes everything! It gets out motor oil so tea should be easy. (01/28/2010)

By Sherry

I had company tonight and someone left a tea bag on my off white, cotton type lace table cloth. How do I remove tea stains?

Thanks,
Linda from Southwestern PA

Answers:

Tea Stains on Fabric

I have had really good luck with Spray and Wash Stain Stick. You rub the stick on the stain and leave it for up to 7 days. I have even removed stains that were dried in the dryer. Let it sit the week and see if it works.
(03/19/2007)

By Donna

Tea Stains on Fabric

I swear Oxyclean will get anything out. (03/20/2007)

By Kit

Tea Stains on Fabric

I washed my table cloth today. I didn't have any M-30 hand cleaner that I have used many times before and had forgotten about it. I know it works on many stains. I had some "Goop" hand cleaner on hand and I used it and it seems like the tea stain is history.

Thanks so much for the person who suggested the M-30 hand cleaner again. The Goop hand cleaner seemed to the trick. I plan to look for the M-30 hand cleaner again. Thanks for the save on my table cloth. It seemed to even taken out the homemade spaghetti sauce, too. Thanks so much.

(03/20/2007)

By Linda

Tea Stains on Fabric

I just removed a 24 hour old tea stain from my white tablecloth by spraying it with vinegar and letting it sit for a few hours (spraying again here and there) and then soaking it in a warm/hot Oxyclean bath for 3 hours (using 2 scoops per gallon of water.) Amazing. (11/07/2007)

By Shelly

I recently spilled tea on a white T-shirt and washed it and dried it and the stain is still there. Is there any way to remove it since I have already dried the shirt in the dryer? PS, I cannot use bleach on the fabric. Thank you.

Arlene of PA

Answers:

Tea Stain On White T-shirt

If you can't use bleach I would try to soak it in a fairly strong solution of an enzyme laundry detergent & water in a bucket, for at least 24 full hours. Ex: ERA, maybe TIDE or WISK. I've had luck w/ ERA. Took blood 100% off a new white t-shirt after about 20 hrs. Don't know if it will "eat away" at the tea, though. I've since learned about peroxide or alcohol for blood stains. If you can't find something that works, brew a bucket full of med-strong tea & "tea dye" the shirt to be all the same color. Yes, this is a real technique. Not white anymore, but no longer stained. (04/02/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Tea Stain On White T-shirt

Try soaking your t-shirt in Oxi-Clean overnight. You may have to repeat a second time. (04/02/2005)

By Tori

Tea Stain On White T-shirt

If you have Dollar General's in your area there is a product called M30 Stain Remover, it's only $1 and it works great. Try it hope it works (04/03/2005)

By Linda

Tea Stain On White T-shirt

I learned to whiten whites by soaking in a mixture of Biz or color safe bleach and Cascade or other dishwashing powder. You can soak these items for 2-3 days to whiten. Will even whiten REALLY OLD things. (04/03/2005)

By Sharon, Ky

Tea Stain On White T-shirt

If you can get a product called Napi San over there, it works wonders and is OK on colors. Take care on wool or silk fabrics though and don't soak it too long. (04/18/2005)

By Jocelyn

Tea Stain On White T-shirt

I'm not sure about how to get tea stains out but I know that Hydrogen Peroxide from the drug store is the best thing for getting blood stains out if you do it right away. I've been able to get stains out even after blood has dried on a fabric but not after it has gone through the washer and dryer. (07/17/2005)

By Sheryl

Tea Stain On White T-shirt

Take 1 part white vinegar and 1 part water(cold)Spray it on with a bottle and or dab on with teaspoon. It will loosen the colorant that stains the material. Then wash in cold water with twin-tub soap powder. Works every time.(05/12/2006)

By Trich