Controlling "Snow on the Mountain" Ground Cover

I purchased a home that was professionally landscaped about 18 years ago but the previous owners did not maintain the beds. A ground cover called "Snow on the Mountain" was used in the largest bed and has taken over. I pulled so much of it out in the fall (including roots) that I thought I'd at least have one spot that was clear but it's back and taking over again! Does anyone have any idea how I can tame this creature? It's a beautiful ground cover so I don't want to kill it entirely but I need to control it.

Joanne H. from Weare, NH

I have Snow on the Mountain too, and as far as I am concerned, it is an invasive plant.

To get rid of it totally, you need to use "Round Up" repeatedly; it just keeps coming back! I have used a shovel and have dug clumps of it out; pulling it out seems to leave some remnants of the root behind and it just regrows. But, just as fast as I can dig out the clumps, the rest of it grows and refills the area!

I have reclaimed one small area by digging out the plant, filling in the holes with bagged topsoil, covering the spot with black plastic (not the landscape type that has the holes in it) and I covered the plastic with mulched wood chips. So far, there is no "Snow on the Mountain" growing and it is now the second season....I think I may have won the battle!

I have Bishop's weed (sometimes confused with Snow on the Mt). This too is an invasive weed. I was told to cover it with black plastic, use rocks to secure it and leave it for 1 year. Check to see if any little sprouts are escaping and pull them. Perhaps combined with Round Up? I do know it is very, very (darn near impossible) to get rid of.