Keep Food Cold Outside During Power Outage

This past weekend, my power went out and I was not expecting that to happen. We had quite a few inches of snow on the ground. I took my food out of the fridge and placed everything into a large plastic storage crate.

I sat the crate in the snow and kept it there until the power came back on late Sunday night. This kept my food from spoiling and I could get whatever I needed easily. I just had to open my back door. It was like having a freezer at my disposal. I have always done this in the winter if the power went out.

By tricia minter from Ridgeway, VA

Very wise :-)

This is wonderful advice, and I wish I'd had it many years ago when we were hit by an ice storm that left us without power for 3 and 1/2 long days.

We used candles, and I reused the unburned candle wax by melting it on our gas stovetop, and pouring it into glass candle containers with new wicks. But our refrigerator/freezer stunk, and was a mess to clean up.