CarpetCleaning

Cleaning Carpet That Has Been Flooded

My washtub overflowed and flooded my family room. How do I get the smell out of the carpet from the rugs being wet? I shampooed them but that didn't help.

By kaye

You call Stanley Steamer or some other company what uses the tank steamer truck. Believe me they will get it clean and smelling great.

Or you could rent a steamer and do it yourself. Backbreaking work, but you'll have the machine for 24 hours and will be able to really sort this mess.

Make sure you get the de-foamer as it sounds as though you've saturated the carpet and padding with way lots more soap than the shampooer could remove. So your first step is going to be getting all that soap up (that's where your odor is coming from-soap actually smells pretty bad if you don't get it all up).

It may take two or three passes with the de-foamer but be patient, and remember to rinse-rinse-rinse with that rental cleaner. It's every bit as powerful as the one the pros use, and should pull the wet out of your carpet with some serious elbow grease.

Forgot to say that you probably won't need to buy the soap when you rent the machine, just the de-foamer that you pour into the tank. Read the directions and good luck to you in this! It is very hard work but the savings makes it well worth it.