Rust Removal Tips for My Old Truck

I have another question: I have an old Toyota truck I use for going to the dump and hauling brush. It's starting to get pretty rusty. I am not worried about how it looks but don't want it to rust out. Anyone have any tips to remove the rust or even just preventing it from further rusting?

By guest client (Guest Post)

There are two products I have seen at Walmart both near the spray paint aisle and near the garden area by the grills that is made just for that.

One is a spray that cleans rust/grease off and one is a spray paint to prevent further rusting and easy cleaning in future.

By guest client (Guest Post)

if not concerneed with looks and so far only have surface rust. go pick up some rustoleum spray paint and have at it. it will only cost a few dollars and will protect from rusting further.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Muriatic acid takes almost all rust off of metal extremely fast. But it also leaves the surface unprotected, which causes it to rust with a day or two if it is uncovered. My tip: there is no substitute for sanding.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Ospho will remove rust and prepare eurface for painting. Then find a paint( -Rustolium etc) that will match to seal out rust.

I've tested a bunch of rust removers and converters and the best performer for rust conversion (by a LONG shot) is Duro Extend. I used to buy it at Home Depot but have been getting it cheaper at a local car parts place. It's the chemical of choice for Palomar Observatory, which is located in a high moisture environment plus winds which whip off paint. It converts rust to a black, paintable surface. You do need a top coat so don't let it go for weeks after conversion. Almost any paint will do.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Many years ago,I bought an old chest with metal corners that were rusted almost beyond help. I used Duro"s Extend, which at that time was a paint on. I couldn't believe how it turned out. Extend gave the metal a matt black finish and looked like new. A chest that I paid $30 for is now worth several hundred. Oh, and after all these years the metal still looks like new.

The easiest method is the rust converter will need two coats this is a primer so will need to do a top coat in enamel.The other option is the anti rust paint made by wattyl rust kill or hammerite anti rust paint i think it lasts up to 5years before rust starts to come though only preparation is to wire brush to remove loose rust it needs rust to adhere.These are tough paints and are durable only require 2 coats no top coat comes in various colors.

If you mean, protecting the backside from rust, go to a parts store and get some oily coating that can be sprayed on. It comes in "no drip" or "creeping" types. We can buy RUST CHECK formulas at CTC here in Canada. If you wish to make your own solution, disolve bee's wax (toilet seal rings) in Varsol until it is saturated then mix with old oil or used ATF. A garden sprayer will work if it (the oil) is strained and not too thick, but a SHOOTZ gun is the best if you have compressed air available. The parts store will have everything you need to DIY.

Duro EXTEND By Loctite Corp., is the only answer. I used it on A VW Bunny P.U. to stop the rust bleeding out of the cab seam joint (between box & door) .Problem solved. I followed instructions and applied several coats but never did top coat with color paint, (just to see what would happen). Sold the truck 7 years later, with the black spots, but no further rust. I am a believer in EXTEND.