Symblosis Vs. Mutualism

What is the difference between symbiosis and mutualism?

Sidraarif from Sind Karachi

Mutualism is a type of symbiosis where both parties benefit from the relationship.

Well, I had to grab my dictionary for this one and I'm afraid it isn't going to help much.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary 1982:

Symbiosis is the relationship of two or more different organisms in a close association that may be, but is not necessarily of benefit to each.

Mutualism is an association, such as parasitism or symbiosis, between two organisms.

According to basic definition...Symbiosis could relate to more than two organisims. Whereas Mutualism is between two.

I think this is the hardest question I've ever seen posted on this site. :) Hope you find your answer.

Go to wikipedia.org and do a search for mutualism and symbiosis (if this is for a school project, this should only be a starting point and you'll need to use the references for your research)

Basically mutualism is a subtype of symbiosis, where the interaction is one that is beneficial to both parties.

You can also get help by going to a tutoring site such as www.tutor.com (they've got 10 minutes free, so you can get this question answered)

Use Google (or your favorite search engine) and type in 'what is symbloses' and check what Wikipedia has to say and then go back and do the same thing with mutualism and I think you will come to an understanding of the difference between then.