Removing Ink from Textbooks

I'm a teacher who is trying to clean up textbooks from this past year. Anyone know how to get ballpoint ink and Sharpie ink off textbook pages without erasing all the other print?

By MissC from Minneapolis, MN

Can't be done.
If it is just one or two marks, you could white it out. I have tossed textbooks if the marks were obscene or profane, or if there were just too many.
If there is just something terribly inappropriate on just one page, I have torn that page out and replaced it with a xeroxed page. I wouldn't do this for more than one or two pages. You don't get paid enough for that.

Only suggestion I have is the magic eraser. Also, try rubbing some corn starch on the pages.

I know this works with games, puzzles, etc to help clean them up. Even playing cards, makes it like a new deck. Toss parts into plastic bag with CS.

Deep woods off aerosol is the best and least destructive ink removal solution. Aerosol hairspray is second. We discovered this when a pen exploded onto maple kitchen cabinets. We tried everything including aerosol hairspray for months with marginal results. after ordering new doors from the company, one of the kids ran in the room complaining of mosquito bites. Not wanting to pass up a opportunity, we sprayed the deep woods off thinking"what the heck". The ink dispersed before our eyes like magic and didn't harm the finish in any way! I have since used the product to my friends amazement on every single surface including a leather couch that I thought for sure was destroyed!

I tried every solution listed and Deep Woods Off was the only one that worked on book page. Just use sparingly cuz it will soak into paper, so don't spray on page, use paper towel to wipe DWO on spots you wish removed.

Home and Garden Cleaning Books and PapersJune 15, 2010
💘
🍀