FurnitureCleaning

Gasoline Smell on Wicker

Category Furniture

We recently bought white wicker furniture to use in the sitting room attached to our bedroom. Unfortunately, it gives off an odor similar to a gasoline or motor oil product. We have spray painted it and the odor still persists. How can we get rid of the odor? Will it dissipate over time if we wait? I worry about ingesting the "fumes" as we sleep.

Rosemarie

sounds like maybe they cleaned it with gasoline. people still do that. how about putting it outside in the sun and washing it with vinegar and baking soda making a scrubby salve out of the 2. then squirt lemon juice all over it. let it dry then wipe it off carefully. that shoud do the trick.

I have had so many issues like this, as I have sensitivities to chemicals. Recently my husband painted a shelf in our daughter's closet with "Kilz". I did not know it and had a migraine by morning.

He thought because he painted it outside it would be fine. You need to get as much of the odor out, then seal the wicker with shellac, or Kilz now has an odor free formula. The room still smelled horribly and my headache continued until I sealed up the room with a big bowl of white vinegar. That neutralized the odor in the air. Another way is to seal up the item in a plastic bag with pieces of charcoal (not with fire starting fluid)

Here is the process:

1. Neutralize as much of the odor as possible with a big cover of plastic and charcoal sealed in it.. Leave it in for a few days.

2. Follow by sealing up the wicker with no odor Kilz primer or shellac.

The ideas from Sandy are good, but not for an item that is so porous like wicker. Baking soda is a great cleaner on many things, so is vinegar, but gasoline is a toxic petroleum product.