Rose Bush Never Blooms

Category Roses
Rose Bush
It can take a few years to establish rose bushes. Pruning and feeding them correctly will help produce beautiful flowers. This guide is about rose bush never blooms.

Why won't my rose bush produce roses? The bush comes back very hardy every year, but it fails to have any blooms on it.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Smiles56 from KY

Please stay away from Miracle Gro, Ortho and all those leaf-growth enhancers. You need bone meal, good compost and some Epsom salt. Mine bloom like maniacs and that is all I use! And to control aphids and pests, a simple diluted solution of 10% Murphy's Oil (vegetable based soap) will suffocate them and allow your flowers to bloom. Good luck.

Dig a little 2 or 3-inch deep trench around your rose bushes & add Epsom salts--cover salts back up with soil & keep watered. Rose bushes take a LOT of water in order to keep blooming. Unfortunately, most won't bloom once the weather gets too hot--but keep watering anyway.

What is the ratio of bone meal,compost and epsom salt Is this good for all flowering plants?

Sun Sun Sun I even say it to my neighbors I often see many nice growing roses planted in a spot where the sun just isnt enough ALL roses need at least 6 hours eight is better and even more is ideal. Early day sun is better than mid day - late day sun but in a nut shell the more sun you give a rose the better

As mentioned Epsom Salt is a help but if you already have Magnesium in your soil adding it wont help or hurt try finding a new site that provides at least 7 - 8 hours of sun and prep that area for transplanting your non flowering rose utilize a fertilizer that has N-P-H of a 1-2-1 balance

Example 5-10-5 and feed the soil once a month during the growing season and READ the label for proper use when it comes to ferts. Over feeding can be harmfull and yes go orgainc Mulch and water on a routine schedule.

My rose bush (yellow) is quite large, yet it only has one bud! The canes are continuing to grow. I water and feed the beautiful tall bush. My question: If I trim the tall canes from the top, will the rose bush begin to bud?

By Snapdragon from Washington, DC

I have rose bushes with long canes; and they don't bloom until a little later in the season. That said, I never hesitate to prune them back. I would not give up on the idea of flowers until you give it some more time this season. Some bushes bloom all summer, some only have a (relatively) short period of bloom.

I took advice from a person to cut a long stem off a rose bush and plant into the ground to make a new bush. She said her sister does this all the time and gets new roses. Well I did this and the plant is growing well, but so far no blooms on it. It has been 2 summers ago. Any ideas?

By Connie M. from Adrian, PA

Don't give up on them. I planted several stems from my Lagerfeld rose and it took 3 years for them to get enough root base to bloom. This is the third year and they are blooming like crazy!