Mimosa Trees in Georgia

Having a mimosa tree in your yard in the south is fairly common, but there are problems. That it is easy to grow and make beautiful shade fast is a plus. However, you can't overlook that the seed pod litter can be annoying.

They like full sun to part shade and will grow in real shady places. It is considered an understory or medium high tree. It can grow as wide as 20 feet but trimming keeps it in bounds. You can't beat the pretty pink flowers.

I have found that I cannot do root cuttings from this tree, but the seeds start easily and grow fast. If you feed and water regularly, you will have a blooming tree the second year. It will only be 3 to 5 feet but will set a few blooms, even in a pot. Full sun is best.

The leaves fall in autumn. This is the ideal time to prune if you wish to shape. When you trim keep in mind the mimosa has a flat-ish top and fans out on the sides, so keep the design for a good tree. This applies if you have a single trunk.

During dry times you will need to water. In the south, the older trees develop a problem sometimes in real dry weather and don't recover. Watering usually deters this.

In south Georgia, it is considered a pest by some, and a treasure by others, so you can try it. If you don't like it, then you pull it. It can be made into a multi-stemmed plant by radical trimming, and will last longer than a single trunk plant because new ones come up around the trunk. It doesn't send suckers off from the tree.

By gbk from South Georgia

I also have a large Mimosa tree. It's one of the few trees that bloom in mid July till almost Labor Day depending on how hot and wet the summer has been. My sister gave it to me as a 2 year seedling and it is now about 18 feet tall and just as wide. It is truly a sight in full bloom. The pods are dropping now and I expect to find some new babies in the spring.

It is possible to grow this tree in Massachusetts even with our crazy winters!