FishingRecreation

Keeping Dough Ball on the Hook

I just recently started fishing, and I need suggestions on how to keep a doughball on the hook. I like to experiment with lots of different things: chicken livers, shrimp, cat food, tuna, etc. I use flour, bread crumbs, and I even tried mixing an egg in. No matter what I seem to try, my doughball never wants to stay on the hook. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Angie

By Samsam2009 from Pittsburgh, PA

This sounds a bit odd, but it works. I used to fish with dough balls when I was much younger. Put the the dough ball on the hook & wrap a hair around it. If you don't have long hair, get some from someone with longer hair.

Oatmeal works like a charm! Grab a hand full and hold it in the water for a second and knead it a little and it will get hard as a rock. Put it on the hook and fish away! We use this method to catch carp. (We catch them for fun, not to eat here in the South, although they are edible.

You can also add your other ingredients to the oatmeal and make your own dough balls. Ex: Put chicken liver in the food processor, add oatmeal to the pureed mixture and you've got your own personalized bait. Experiment with different items till you find your magic menu for the fish!

Panty hose also work.

I have no input about dough balls, unfortunately, however, if you ever decide to sacrifice a worm for the cause, my husband introduced me to something called a "worm threader" that works great for such a purpose. A couple of dollars at Kmart or Walmart, etc. Will really help keep a worm on the hook. Good luck!

I used to bake them with a hood in it. This sure does bring back memories.