Uses for Potato Water

What is the function of potato water?

By sudha saraf

Best Answer

Potato water is also great for making potato bread at home; a lot of recipes for it call for either it or plain water if none's available. Using the reserved potato water makes a big difference in both taste and texture of "hands on" or bread machine recipes.

If there's a lag between when you have potato water and when you plan to bake, just freeze portions of it until you're ready.

Best Answer

I always use the potato water for gravy when cooking roast etc. If there is too much, freeze and save until there is enough for making soup.

Best Answer

I also like to drink hot potato water especially if I'm having digestive issues. My fave seasoning is celery salt and black pepper.

A sprinkle of powdered bouillon is a nice touch too, even a little milk and a dab of butter! I only do this with peeled potatoes. I don't want to consume the fertilizers and pesticides on the skin.

You do realize how potatoes are grown, don't you?

Following is taken from: www.girlslovestyle.com/.../

"This vegetable grows underground but it isnt protected from pests. Potato is a vegetable that absorbs the pesticides with its leaves and from the soil around it. In the early period of growth farmers inject pesticide into the ground, then sprinkle the crop with powdered chemicals."
----------------------------------------------------------------

So peeling potatoes would remove hardly any pesticides at all. You're still getting some pesticides when eating potatoes, or any other vegetable you would normally peel. The only way to be (mostly) pesticide free is buy certified organic, from a farmer's market where you know they don't use pesticides, or grow them yourself.

I only say 'mostly' because pesticides can still be spread by wind or water runoff.

Anonymous

There are several awesome tips listed in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

I use potato water in homemade soups and I often freeze it for later use. Potato rolls are delicious !

📓
🐛
😎
🌻