PhotosOrganizing

Storing Photos

I have a gazillion pictures of my family and have been storing them in boxes and suitcases. I am contemplating using my hanging space bags (the plastic bags that you vacuum out the air)l Using picture albums would not be very thrifty and I already have things stored under my beds. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brenda from Rutledge, TN.

I know they take up a lot of space, but storing pictures loose in cardboard boxes is really the best way to preserve them. I have family photos that are over a hundred years old and they still look great because my grandmother kept them loose in boxes. Never store them in any kind of plastic(including those bags you vacuum -- you will never get all the air out of them). Plastic traps moisture and your pictures will mildew.

If you have, or know someone who has, a computer and scanner, this is the easiest and most convenient way to store photograghs. When yopu scan them you copy them onto a blank dvd (you can fit 100s onto a dvd as opposed to a cd). I have done this with all the very old and not so old photograghs in our family which was just under a 1000!!!! All this onto 4 dvds. Then the originals can be stored in a brown paper lined suitcase anywhere you want!!

Best of luck, Sue in Spain

See the following:

http://www.ajmo … 06/photopres.htm
http://www.loc. … /care/photo.html
http://scrapboo … preservation.htm

If you so happen to still have the negatives for those photos. You can take them to your local photo-shop and have them save to cd/cds

I've got a ton of photos i need to go through and put into albums but have several other projects in line ahead of that one. Since I'm trying to come up with creative storage ideas for my small space, I took a symmetrical plastic file storage box with a flat top, filled it w/ all the to-be-sorted photos, put the lid on, found a small pillow the same size as the lid and sewed a quick slipcover so now all my photos are stored in a dust free container, out of sight, easy to get to when I'm ready for that project, not taking of valuable storage space and as a bonus, I have a cute little footstool for my reading corner.