WallsCleaning

How Can I Remove Hair Spray from Wallpaper?

I have navy blue and white striped wallpaper in my bathroom. I've tried several different cleaners to remove hair spray droplets. I've yet to find one that works. Any ideas?

By Granny2889 from near Charlotte, NC

Full strength ammonia in a spray bottle. That is what I used to use.

Anonymous

Is it paper only or have some sort of a plastic coating? That will make a huge difference on what should be used. Let us know so you'll get a safe answer. :-)

Anonymous

More of a paper than a vinyl. When I bought it they said it was washable. I have used soap and water on it and that didn't work. I was really afraid to try anything else without knowing the outcome. It is a dark hunter green marbleized wallpaper and I was afraid of fade. And I certainly wasn't going to use bleach or any kind of bathroom tub and sink cleaner.

Mix quite a few table spoons of baking soda in warm water and sponge off the excess hair spray anywhere. Good luck and keep us informed on what you do. (I personally know that this does work!)

Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges? (The original smooth ones, not the ones with a scrubber side which might harm the wall paper.) I don't use hairspray but I haven't found much that these sponges can't tackle with very little elbow grease. No additional cleaners needed either, just rinse in warm water, wring out, and start "erasing".

Even if they can't quite cut the dried on hairspray, you will find dozens of uses for this "magical" product throughout your home, i.e.; no money wasted on "an experiment". Now that's a thrifty investment! :-)

Those Mr. Clean sponges will work will tip. I get the generic ones at local Dollar General.